This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.908 / 50°54'28"N
Longitude: -3.4864 / 3°29'11"W
OS Eastings: 295588
OS Northings: 113111
OS Grid: SS955131
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R0L4
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LP.TVN
Entry Name: 22, 24 and 25, Bartows Causeway
Listing Date: 14 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384762
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485220
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9513 BARTOWS CAUSEWAY, Tiverton
848-1/5/132 (East side)
14/12/72 Nos.22, 24 AND 25
Terrace of 3 houses (No.23 is believed to have lain at the
rear). Nos 24 & 25, and perhaps also No.22, are converted from
a late C16 or early C17 house, probably a farmhouse.
Remodelled with additions at rear in early or mid C19.
MATERIALS: solid, roughcast fronts; front and rear walls of
No.25 are known to be of cob, while the left end wall is a
mixture of stone and cob. Rear of No.25 is of red brick.
Pantiled roofs. Red brick chimneys on ridge at each end of
range and on party wall between Nos 24 & 25.
PLAN: No.25 has 2 rooms to the front, the original hall to
right and the inner room to left. Front door opens directly on
to chimney at right-hand end of hall, as in a lobby-entry
house, although here this arrangement is not probably older
than about 1700. Rear wing on left contains the C19 kitchen
with outhouse beyond. No.24 appears to be the original lower
end of the same house (interior not inspected).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. No.22 is one-window wide with doorway to
left, No.24 has 2 windows per storey with doorway to right;
No.25 is 3 windows wide with doorway in place of right-hand
ground storey window. No.22 has an unmoulded 4-panel door. At
No.24 the doorway is open, leading to a through-passage. No.25
has a late C20 wooden glazed door flanked by C19 pilasters
supporting an entablature.
Windows at No.22 have 9-paned sashes, except that the lower
sash in the ground-storey window is now only 2-paned. All
windows at No.24 have 6-paned sashes, as does the right-hand
upper-storey window at No.25; remainder of the latter's
windows have 2-paned sashes with a single upright glazing bar.
Moulded board below eaves of whole terrace.
INTERIOR: former hall has chamfered ceiling beam with
scroll-stops, its underside cut back. Fireplace has brick back
with splayed corners; chamfered wood lintel (probably re-used)
has step-stops with bar, the right-hand stop overlapping the
edge of the opening. At upper end, stud-and-panel screen, the
studs chamfered with rounded step-stops; at right-hand end is
the original doorway with flat chamfered lintel, its jambs cut
back. Line of a possible former bench above the stops on the
studs. Inner room has chamfered ceiling beam with step-stops;
matching half-beam against rear wall.
Room above hall has a large wooden bolection-moulded
chimneypiece with moulded cornice, probably of about 1700;
According to the owners, No.24 formerly had a similar one in
the upstairs room on the other side of the stack. Moulded
ceiling cornice at No.25. Feet of side-pegged jointed crucks
showing; crucks are unblackened with through-purlins and no
Listing NGR: SS9558813111
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings