This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9074 / 50°54'26"N
Longitude: -3.4861 / 3°29'9"W
OS Eastings: 295611
OS Northings: 113047
OS Grid: SS956130
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R0NJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LP.V12
Plus Code: 9C2RWG47+XH
Entry Name: Old Bartows
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384763
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485221
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9513 BARTOWS CAUSEWAY, Tiverton
848-1/5/133 (East side)
Formerly known as: The Bourne BARTOW'S CAUSEWAY Tiverton.
House. Early C19, probably a remodelling of an earlier
building; later C19 addition at right-hand end.
MATERIALS: rendered, solid walls (believed to be of stone and
cob); addition of painted red brick. Converted stable building
at right-hand end is of stone rubble. Slated roofs, that of
the left-hand section hipped. Rendered chimneys with moulded
caps at rear, to left, and on right gable end of middle
PLAN: arranged in 3 sections with differing roof-lines, the
right-hand section (the addition) set well back. The 2
left-hand sections are 1 room deep, each containing 1
ground-floor room; middle section has stair compartment at
left-hand end and a back stair at the rear. Addition to right
has single room (kitchen), with converted stable to right
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with cellar under the left-hand section;
converted stable single-storey. The 2 earlier sections are 4
windows wide with open verandah on iron columns across the
whole ground storey; this has a pent roof, partly glazed,
partly slated, and partly covered with corrugated iron. A
greenhouse has been built under it at the right-hand end.
Front door, centrally placed, has 2 solid panels below and 6
glazed panes with margin-panes above. Windows have flush
frames. Flanking the front door are 2 windows with 6-paned
sashes, and at the left-hand end a pair of 4-paned French
windows with margin-panes. Upper storey windows have, from
left, a C20 mullioned-and-transomed metal casement, a pair of
6-paned sashes, a 2-light wooden casement with 3 panes per
light, and another 2-light wooden casement with 4 panes and
margin-panes per light. Addition to right has altered windows
in ground storey, but a pair of 2-paned sashes in box-frames
in the upper storey. Whole building has moulded wooden boards
below the eaves.
Right-hand return (of the brick addition) has in upper storey
a window with 6-paned sashes. Rear wall appears to have been
heightened; in the earlier part of the building it reduces
thickness sharply just below the ground floor ceiling. To
ground storey of left-hand section (visible from Park Street)
a small window with Gothic patterned glazing; in upper storey
of middle section a fixed 6-paned wooden sash. According to
the owner there is a barred sash window in second storey of
left side wall, not blocked on the inside.
INTERIOR: good, simple early or mid C19 detail. Wooden
staircases with turned newels and thin, square-section
balusters. Panelled doors, chimneypieces; the best of the
latter in the left-hand upper-storey room, has a C19 cast-iron
grate with surround of coloured tiles. To ground storey,
original side door (now concealed by an added toilet) with
coloured glass in margin-panes.
HISTORY: the house is not shown on Dunsford's map of 1790, but
a smaller building does appear at the north end of the site on
the tithe map of 1842.
Listing NGR: SS9561613045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings