History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Peters Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9057 / 50°54'20"N

Longitude: -3.4868 / 3°29'12"W

OS Eastings: 295554

OS Northings: 112851

OS Grid: SS955128

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R6GL

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.1DP

Entry Name: St Peters Church House

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Last Amended: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485244

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 CASTLE STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/148 (East side)
12/02/52 No.17
St Peter's Church House
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE STREET
(East side)
No.17
(Church House))

GV II

School with headmaster's house to left, now a church house and
private house to left. 1842, designed by the architect GA
Boyce. Mass wall construction with roughcast rendering and
stone rubble plinth. Roof of natural slate. No sign of the
position of any chimney stacks remaining from the front
elevation.
PLAN: 3 rooms wide 2 rooms deep on either side of central room
which is a large hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic rooms. Symmetrical 3 bay
5-window front. Central bay broken forward and gabled to
front. This projecting central bay has banded cornice at
first-floor level and at second. Entrance doors to right of
first bay and to left of the third are both plank and cover
strip with studding with centre planks glazed half way up;
doorways have Tudor-arched heads and dripstones with carved
label stops.
First and third bays have C20 small-pane iron casement windows
with middle hung lights, except for an original stone
tripartite mullioned window with margin panes and geometric
glazing bars at ground floor end right - this window has a
dripmould. Modern roof lights.
INTERIOR: only partially inspected. Timber moulded Tudor arch
doorway from headmaster's house into ground floor school room.
School room is entered on the other side via a side passage
behind the entrance door in the third bay. Also a 3-light
window in this passage which looks into the school room. First
floor schoolroom has a canted ceiling with moulded beams and
carved bosses. Moulded roof timbers are supported on carved
corbels.
HISTORY: on the wall of the passage inside the building is a
wooden plaque commemorating the school's erection in 1842 for
the Tiverton Bluecoat Schools. In 1878 the school became the
middle schools foundation and the boys school was held there
until 1910. In 1911 the building was bought for Parish
purposes "at a cost (including adaptation) of ยป1,800".

Listing NGR: SS9555412852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.