This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9034 / 50°54'12"N
Longitude: -3.4843 / 3°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 295724
OS Northings: 112599
OS Grid: SS957125
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.RF39
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.8CH
Plus Code: 9C2RWG38+97
Entry Name: 38 and 38a Gold Street, Radford Cottage 2c Barrington Street and 2b Barrington Street
Listing Date: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485293
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/11/2017
GOLD STREET, (North side)
Nos.38 AND 38A and Radford Cottage 2C Barrington Street, and 2B Barrington Street.
(Formerly listed as Nos.38 AND 38A, GOLD STREET)
Two shops with accommodation above. Mid C19; shop front dated 1901. Solid, rendered front. Slated roof. Red brick chimney, with rebuilt top, on each end wall.
EXTERIOR: three storeys. Two widely spaced windows wide. In ground storey a pair of wooden shop fronts, built to a single design. At each end, and in the middle, a pilaster-strip with shaped panel, upon which is a panelled bracket surmounted by a shaped block with acorn finial; an entablature with dentilled cornice runs between the brackets. On the two end brackets is carved the monogram HT, and on the centre one the date 1901. The end pilaster strips are also panelled on their outer sides. Each shop has a single display window with doorway adjoining the middle pilaster strip. Right-hand window replaced in late C20. Between the two shops, at the front, is a wooden partition panelled on both sides. Upper storeys have plain pilaster strips matching those on the shop fronts.
In second storey, two wooden canted bay windows with swept pent roofs. Between and flanking the lights are pilasters; cornices round the tops of the bays, that to left dentilled and continued (without the dentils) across its half of the front, overlapping the pilasters. Right-hand window probably had a similar arrangement originally. Third-storey windows plain. All upper storey windows have two-paned sashes with a single upright glazing bar, except for the side sashes of the bays, which are plain.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: it appears from the directories that this was originally a single shop. The occupant in 1902 was Francis Snow, grocer, and in 1908 Mrs Victoria Radford, milliner. The occupant of No.40 (qv) (next door) at both dates was William Hubert Thorne, grocer, although there is no evidence that he was responsible for the shop front.
Listing NGR: SS9572412599
Other nearby listed buildings