This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9042 / 50°54'15"N
Longitude: -3.4918 / 3°29'30"W
OS Eastings: 295200
OS Northings: 112701
OS Grid: SS952127
Mapcode National: GBR LH.RC7D
Mapcode Global: FRA 36KQ.CGD
Plus Code: 9C2RWG35+M7
Entry Name: Heathcoat School
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485306
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 LEAT STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/218 Heathcoat School
(Formerly Listed as:
Heathcoat's Girls' School)
Factory school, built to the designs of Gideon Acland Boyce
for John Heathcoat for the education for the children of
Heathcoat's lace-workers and for the lace-workers themselves.
The school is now used as a factory shop. 1841, opened 1843.
Purple ashlar masonry, rear elevations plastered; slate roof,
gabled at ends; stacks with ashlar shafts with octagonal pots;
cast-iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: H-plan with very long rear wings. The front ranges are
closed off with a cross-range at the rear forming an enclosed
courtyard, the rear wings extend in two parts, possibly two
phases, with an open courtyard between.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 1:3:1-bay front,
the 3 centre bays recessed with a small coped gable with
kneelers. Moulded string at first floor and attic level of
ends of crosswings. 2 shallow 2-storey bays to left and right
wings with plain parapets and 4 segmental-headed lights with
geometric glazing bars to each storey window. The panel
between the windows is carved with the initials J.H., the date
1841, and swags of net of the type that was produced in the
The centre section has a central gabled dormer with kneelers
and outer Tudor arched doorways with plank and cover strip
doors. Further, similar doorways in the inner returns of the
wings. The centre section has 3 ground floor 2-light stone
mullioned windows with segmental-headed lights and the remains
of geometrical leaded panes. 3 similar but shorter first-floor
windows; small rectangular stone-framed window in gabled
dormer; small 2-light similar attic windows in gables of
The rear elevations are very attractive with a cobbled yard
between, small roof gables and pentices on iron posts.
INTERIOR: not inspected but may retain features of interest.
HISTORY: according to Mark Brayshay this is the West Country's
first factory school. By March 1846 Heathcoat claimed that of
the 1,218 hands employed in the factory, only thirty remained
completely illiterate (p.89). Heathcoat's paternalism
frequently ran in advance of government legislation.
Outstanding historical importance as an example of this type.
(Brayshay M: Heathcoat's Industrial Housing in Tiverton,
Devon: 1991-: 82-104).
Listing NGR: SS9520012701
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings