History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lowman Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9034 / 50°54'12"N

Longitude: -3.4835 / 3°29'0"W

OS Eastings: 295780

OS Northings: 112597

OS Grid: SS957125

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.RF8S

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.8PC

Entry Name: Lowman Bridge

Listing Date: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485312

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St George

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 LOWMAN GREEN, Tiverton
848-1/6/223 (West side)
Lowman Bridge

GV II

Bridge over the River Lowman, at the eastern end of Gold
Street. 1851, the south side widened in 1911. Squared stone
rubble with well-cut voussoirs to the arches; cast-iron
balustrades. The bridge consists of 3 elliptical arches, the
south side having been built out in a semicircle to carry a
statue of King Edward VII. Piers have cutwaters on both sides.
Balustrades have a series of narrow, round-arched open panels
with a handrail on top; at intervals are square iron piers
with panelled sides and ball finials. At each end of each
balustrade is an oblong section stone pier with a low
pyramidical cap.
On the eastern pier of the south side is a stone tablet
inscribed THIS BRIDGE WAS WIDENED DURING THE MAYORALTY OF
ALDERMAN west THORNE 2nd NOV.er 1911. Above the eastern
cutwater on the south side is another tablet (badly worn)
which seems to read LOWMAN BRIDGE WIDENED 1911.
The foundation stone of the bridge was laid in October 1851 by
John Heathcoat, MP for Tiverton.
The previous bridge, also of stone but with 2 arches, was
`repaired and nearly rebuilt' in 1772.


Listing NGR: SS9578012597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.