History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Church Including the Front Area Walls and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9053 / 50°54'19"N

Longitude: -3.4877 / 3°29'15"W

OS Eastings: 295493

OS Northings: 112811

OS Grid: SS954128

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R684

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.12Z

Entry Name: Baptist Church Including the Front Area Walls and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384864

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485323

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 NEWPORT STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/233 (North side)
Baptist Church including the front
area walls and gate piers

GV II

Baptist church. 1876 by GS Bridgman of Torquay. Front of
squared grey Westleigh stone rubble with dressings of Bath
stone; some details in a reddish Paignton stone and in cream
brick. Rear and side walls in red brick with cream brick
dressings. Tarred slated roof with crested ridge-tile and red
terracotta finials.
STYLE: Italianate medieval design.
EXTERIOR: front is 2-storey with dominant gabled centre
flanked by lower, narrower wings. Centre has round arched
doorway with broad pilasters having foliated capitals; arch
has carved spandrels and a gabled hood. Panelled double doors;
stone tympanum inscribed in raised letters ENTER INTO HIS
GATES WITH THANKSGIVING. Above the doorway a large round
arched window containing 4 round arched lights, these arranged
in pairs under 2 larger round arches, in the tops of which are
2 blind round panels containing green balls. In the head of
the window is a multi-cusped round light, flanked by 2 blind
round lights containing red balls. The relieving arch of the
window has alternating grey and red voussoirs. Beneath the
window, around the head of the doorway below, is a panel of
imitation slate hanging in stone. The window contains coloured
glass. The gable is finished with 3 large finials, 1 at the
apex and 1 at each side, these designed like square columns
with friezes above them resembling little belfries, the whole
topped by pointed roofs covered with imitation slates. The 2
ground storey windows flanking the centre doorway are round
arched, as are the 2 doorways in the wings and the 2 windows
above them; all the ground storey openings have gabled hoods
echoing the main doorway. Doors are panelled and have
traceried fanlights. Windows are of 2 lights with wooden
glazing-bars, the lights round arched with a circular light in
the window head. Front area wall is of coursed stone with
chamfered coping. In it are set 3 pairs of stone gate piers
with a matching pier at each end. Piers are square with shaped
tops, these designed with gables facing in all 4 directions.
Iron gates and the railings on top of the walls are mid or
late C20; for a photograph of the original arrangements see H
B Case, `History of the Baptist Church in Tiverton, 1607-1907,
1907, opposite p.68. Set into the wall face of the chapel are
2 inscribed stone tablets. That to left reads THESE MEMORIAL
STONES WERE LAID BY J LANE ESQRE. JP ON MONDAY APRIL 17th
1876. GLORIO DEO; in smaller letters at the bottom are written
G.S. BRIDGMAN ARCHITECT and W. BARRONS & SON BUILDERS. The
right-hand tablet reads THE PREVIOUS CHAPEL ADJOINED THIS
BUILDING AND WAS BUILT IN 1730 ON THE SITE OF THE OLD MEETING
HOUSE. CHURCH FOUNDED 1607. Side walls have in the upper
storey round arched windows like those at the front. Beneath
them are panels of patterned stonework; ground storey windows
have flat stone lintels. Giant pilaster-strips between the
windows. Rear wall (clearly visible from The Works) has a
3-bay projecting with pent roof having a gable in the centre,
the openings (a doorway flanked by 2 windows) matching the
side-walls.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the facade is a prominent and notable feature in the
surrounding townscape. `The Exeter Flying Post', 19.4.1876,
p.7 described it in these terms: `The chapel proper will form
one large parallelogram, sixty nine feet long and forty five
feet wide, irrespective of organ loft and vestries; and so
designed that at any future time the vestries and organ loft
can be easily removed, and the platform carried back - forming
a chapel eighty one feet long by forty five feet wide'.
Woodwork was to be of varnished red deal and pitch pine. Organ
loft was to be behind the platform, flanked by 2 vestries with
classrooms above. There was to be a separate Sunday School;
this fronts The Works and is separately listed.
According to M Dunsford (Historical Memoirs of the Town and
Parish of Tiverton, 1790, p.375), the Civil War fortifications
of Tiverton Castle extended as far as the site of the Old
Baptist Meeting House.


Listing NGR: SS9549312811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.