History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clare House Including Garden Wall and Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.905 / 50°54'17"N

Longitude: -3.4877 / 3°29'15"W

OS Eastings: 295491

OS Northings: 112774

OS Grid: SS954127

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R687

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.134

Entry Name: Clare House Including Garden Wall and Piers

Listing Date: 12 February 1952

Last Amended: 10 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384865

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485324

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 NEWPORT STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/234 (South side)
12/02/52 Clare House including garden wall
and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
NEWPORT STREET
(South side)
Clair House, including front wall to
street)

GV II

House, now surgery. Believed to be 1816, built on the site of
Clare parsonage, with early C20 alterations. Rendered mass
wall construction; slate roof with lead rolls, hipped at ends;
stack on front wall with rendered shaft and 4 old pots;
cast-iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: deep plan, 2 rooms wide with central entrance into
passage and stair cell off right of passage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus single storey pavilion block set
forward to right with hipped slate roof. Deep eaves.
Asymmetrical 3-bay front with pilastered timber doorcase with
roses carved at the upper corners and a 3-pane overlight.
Portico with timber columns and a moulded cornice with lead
covering. Half-glazed 2-leaf door with Edwardian stained glass
window to right, high transomed with a pair of opening
casements with fixed sidelights, all with margin panes. 3
first-floor windows with louvred shutters. Windows glazed with
2-pane casements with margin panes, said to have evidence of
conversion from sashes. Pavilion has one 12-pane sash and a
deep timber cornice.
The garden elevation has 3 first floor casements matching
those on the front and 2 3-light ground-floor windows with
margin panes and a blind recess in the centre with a C20
window alongside.
Elevation to Newport Street has one 2-light casement to the
stair. Rear right block has sash windows and a brick end wall
and may be an early C20 addition.
INTERIOR: features of interest include moulded doorcases
carved with lion's heads. The hallway has a plaster cornice,
also decorated with lion's heads; some C19 chimney-pieces
survive. Edwardian stair with turned balusters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: tall rubble garden wall with piers is
included in the listing. This extends along Newport Street and
has 2 round-headed archways to left and right and ramps up to
a carriage entrance at the far right.


Listing NGR: SS9549112774

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.