This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.906 / 50°54'21"N
Longitude: -3.4885 / 3°29'18"W
OS Eastings: 295438
OS Northings: 112897
OS Grid: SS954128
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.R618
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.0RH
Plus Code: 9C2RWG46+CJ
Entry Name: Tiverton Castle
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384869
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485328
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 PARK HILL, Tiverton
848-1/6/158 (West side)
12/02/52 Tiverton Castle
(Formerly Listed as:
Castle, the seat of the Courtenay family (Earls of Devon),
from the late C13 until 1539 (Pevsner). C14 core with evidence
for major phases of rebuilding in the seventeenth century,
after the Civil War, by Peter West, a Tiverton merchant, and
in the late C17. Extensions and alterations of the C19.
MATERIALS: local purple volcanic stone, some rubble, some
coursed, the earlier fabric with volcanic and Beerstone
dressings. The C19 work has Ham Hill dressings. Slate and lead
roofs; stacks with brick and rendered shafts.
PLAN: the castle is sited high above the river, just south of
the parish church (qv). The plan is a courtyard arrangement,
with the gatehouse in the east range, flanked by guardrooms
with accommodation over.
The north range is largely ruinous, but with sections of
medieval walling surviving to the former roof level.
The west side consists of the remains of retaining walls
including the bases of two towers.
There is a ruinous solar tower at the south-west corner of the
site and a round tower at the south-east corner.
The complex contains a late C17 house, extended probably in
the late C19, sited in the north-east corner of the courtyard.
A second house, Castle Barton (qv), is sited outside the walls
and listed separately, as is a lodge, Castle Lodge (qv).
The visible fourteenth century fabric is the two inner (west)
bays of the gatehouse, which was extended to the east by one
bay in the C15 and has been reduced from three storeys to two
since 1734, judging from an engraving by Buck.
The ruinous south wall of the south range is also C14,
variously interpreted as a domestic range or a chapel over
services, and the solar tower at the south-west corner.
The site of the C14 hall is unclear. A gabled projection off
the east range is dated 1588 with the initials RG for Robert
Gifford, but there is little visible sixteenth-century fabric.
The east range appears to have been partly remodelled in the
C17, including a late C17 stair and ovolo-moulded mullioned
windows. Somewhat later in the C17, the house in the
north-east corner was added or rebuilt.
Listing NGR: SS9545412931
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings