History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3, Bellaire

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0892 / 51°5'21"N

Longitude: -4.0654 / 4°3'55"W

OS Eastings: 255451

OS Northings: 134235

OS Grid: SS554342

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CPY0

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.Q0Q

Entry Name: 3, Bellaire

Listing Date: 31 December 1973

Last Amended: 29 September 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385008

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485468

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5534SE BELLAIRE, Pilton
684-1/2/310 (North side (off))
31/12/73 No.3
(Formerly Listed as:
BELLAIRE, Pilton
(North side)
Bellaire House and house adjoining
to east)

GV II

Small house. House on the site documented in 1611, existing
structure probably C18 with late C18/early C19 alterations
(possibly divided from No.2 (qv) at this date) and with
substantial late C20 renovation. Roughcast mass wall
construction; natural slate roof, gabled at left end; end
stacks with brick shafts with corbelled cornices.
Double-depth plan, 2 rooms wide (heated from end stacks) with
a wide central entrance passage from which the stairs rise at
right angles.
2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window range with probably early C19
timber lattice gabled porch with scalloped barge-boards with
pendant and finial. 2 ground floor C19 16-pane sashes; 3
first-floor narrow 12-pane sashes of an early C18 character
with boxed frames and old glass.
INTERIOR: attractive paving to passage; C19 joinery survives,
otherwise house thoroughly altered in the late C20.
HISTORICAL NOTE: according to Reed the house, along with its
neighbour to the right, No.2 (qv), was bought by John Cutliffe
from Lord Howard in 1611 and was then known as Cutliffe's
Tenement. Nicholas Tossell, a builder, bought the premises
before 1800 and may have been responsible for dividing it into
two.
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-).


Listing NGR: SS5545134235

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.