This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0889 / 51°5'20"N
Longitude: -4.0664 / 4°3'59"W
OS Eastings: 255375
OS Northings: 134209
OS Grid: SS553342
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CPN9
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.PMG
Entry Name: Broadgate House
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485472
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5534 BELLAIRE, Pilton
684-1/2/314 (South side)
19/01/51 Broadgate House
(Formerly Listed as:
Broadgate House 1-5 (consec))
House, partly derelict, partly converted to flats. C18 or
earlier in origin, with successive phases of alterations and
rebuilding. Roughcast and stuccoed, partly brick; slate roofs;
stacks with rendered shafts and old pots. Description
approximate as access refused at time of survey.
Courtyard plan arrangement with cartway through range parallel
to Bellaire and 3 other wings round a square courtyard. This
section of the house is converted to flats. The older part of
the house appears to be at the rear and left and is seriously
range parallel to the road has the gable ends of the wings to
left and right. A large timber gateway with C17 stops and C19
plank gates is in the centre range. Scattered fenestration,
mostly of timber small-pane sashes and casements. To left, a
ramped, painted brick garden wall with recessed panels
including a gateway crowned with ball finials. The derelict
portion of the house appears to be C18 in origin with c1900
alterations. It has rusticated quoins and a parapet above a
cornice on brackets. The rear elevation has a 2-storey bow
flanked by single-storey bows. Most of the sash windows are
missing and some of the bays have collapsed.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Parts of the building were in a very poor state of repair at
the time of survey.
HISTORICAL NOTE: according to Reed the house was bought by
William Palmer, a Barnstaple merchant, in 1611, but in 1664 it
had only two taxable hearths. In 1675 it was sold to another
local merchant, Richard Parminter. After a period of
prosperity and rebuilding in the C18 the house was split up
into a number of properties in 1918.
(Reed MA: Pilton, its Past and Present: Barnstaple: 1985-:
Listing NGR: SS5537534209
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings