This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0828 / 51°4'57"N
Longitude: -4.0604 / 4°3'37"W
OS Eastings: 255780
OS Northings: 133513
OS Grid: SS557335
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.D55W
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.CXM
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WMQ+4V
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385069
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485530
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533 BOUTPORT STREET
684-1/6/73 (West side)
31/08/88 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. 1860. By RD Gould; C20 addition at rear.
Squared stone rubble with dressings of limestone; brick
relieving arches, painted white, to windows. Left gable wall
slate-hung. Slated roofs; stair turret at left-hand has a
small rendered chimney to left of front wall.
Plan consists of a large oblong room with galleries along rear
and side walls; rear gallery and space below now partitioned
off. At left-hand end an entrance lobby with stair turret to
left of it.
7-window range with 2 tiers of round-arched openings. All have
moulded archivolts terminating on small carved brackets, being
linked at cill level and springing level of the arches by
bands of limestone. Doorway in each end opening has 8-panelled
door, the 2 lowest panels flush; fanlight with radial glazing
bars. The other openings contain small-paned windows, 16 panes
in lower tier, 20 panes above, all with radial bars in the
window-head. A lot of old glass survives, especially in the
upper tiers. Small panels carved with 4-leaved flowers between
heads of openings in lower tier. Bracketed stone eaves
The stair turret to left has a lower eaves level and contains
a small round-arched window in each of its 2 storeys; plain
chamfered surrounds, 8-pane fixed sashes, the top 2 panes
shaped to fit the head of the window.
INTERIOR: 1988 list description describes original galleries
as surviving, carried on cast-iron columns of quatrefoil
section with patterned, open-work brackets at the top. Gallery
fronts (possibly later) had deal panelling with ornate iron
rails above. Galleries re-seated in 1896. At south end, choir
loft had similar panelled front; at the rear of it an organ of
1884 with painted pipes. In front of and below it an elaborate
pulpit of 1933 with carved Gothic detail. 2 large, decorated
chandelier bosses on the ceiling.
Adjoining the chapel on the right-hand side are, successively,
the hall and schoolrooms (qv) and the former Minister's
residence, May House (qv).
(Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-97: Barnstaple: 1897-: 101;
Listing NGR: SS5578033513
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings