This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0828 / 51°4'58"N
Longitude: -4.0606 / 4°3'38"W
OS Eastings: 255764
OS Northings: 133517
OS Grid: SS557335
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.D54R
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.CVF
Entry Name: Baptist Church Hall
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485531
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533 BOUTPORT STREET
684-1/6/74 (West side)
31/08/88 Baptist Church Hall
Church hall with schoolrooms above. 1869-70. By RD Gould. The
walling resembles brick, but appears to be of a soft stone,
possibly refaced in cement; limestone dressings, granite
plinth. Slated roof with crested ridge-tiles. 2 lofty storeys,
equal to 3 storeys of the former minister's house, May House
(qv), on the right. Gothic Revival style.
4-window range, the 3 larger windows to right grouped together
under a gable. Windows in both storeys have pointed stone
arches with hoodmoulds; those in 2nd storey sub-divided into 2
lights, with pointed arches and a round light in window-head.
Group of small ventilator slits in apex of gable, on top of
which is a carved stone finial. Left-hand bay has a slight
projection. In its ground storey a segmental-headed doorway
with panelled double doors. Immediately above this a
half-window with pointed arch. 2nd-storey window has trefoiled
head set within a larger pointed arch having a hoodmould on
mask-corbels. Small gable above. At the base of the left
door-jamb is carved: 'This stone was laid by T Cave Esq. M.P.
Sept. 8. 1869.'
INTERIOR: 1988 list description mentions no features of
special interest in the hall; upper floor not inspected. The
Baptist Church (qv) and the former Minister's house, now May
House (qv), adjoin the church on either side.
(Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-97: Barnstaple: 1897-: 101).
Listing NGR: SS5576433517
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings