This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0803 / 51°4'49"N
Longitude: -4.0604 / 4°3'37"W
OS Eastings: 255769
OS Northings: 133243
OS Grid: SS557332
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DC5N
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.KXL
Entry Name: Three Tuns Inn
Listing Date: 19 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485627
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE HIGH STREET
684-1/7/150 (West side)
Three Tuns Inn
House and shop, now public house. c1600. Thoroughly renovated
by Bruce Oliver in 1946 (Pevsner). Timber-framed front above
stone rubble base; natural slate roof, hipped at end; right
end stack with handmade brick shaft. Gallery and back block
plan with entrance to the left and gallery over the right;
courtyard filled in.
3 storeys and attic. Front elevation mostly 1946 by Oliver, in
a C17 manner, the second floor jettied; windows glazed with
leaded panes. 5-light oak mullioned ground-floor window with
Tudor arched lights; chamfered doorway to left appears to be
partly original. First-floor oriel on timber brackets with a
hipped slate roof and oak moulded mullioned and transomed
windows, 4 lights to the centre and one to each return. Two
2-light shallow second-floor oriels on brackets. Roof hipped
to front with over-sized gabled dormer, the gable and sides
slate-hung; 4-light casement window.
INTERIOR: mixture of original and 1946 features. Several door
frames and doors are probably Oliver's, as well as the simple
C17-style stair to the first floor, which rises rear of the
courtyard from the back block. Ground floor has 4 step-stopped
chamfered cross beams and exposed joists. Front fireplace on
right-hand wall is C20; rear fireplace has a chamfered
step-stopped lintel and bread oven. Joisting of passage
survives on ground floor.
First-floor front room has 4 moulded cross beams, probably
1940s, with scroll stops with carved leaves. Front fireplace
appears to be original with a cranked lintel. Rear fireplace
renovated but preserves one hollow-chamfered jamb and a
moulded corbel, moulded timber lintel with carved leaf stops.
C17 wall panelling with evidence of re-cycling.
Gallery timber-framed to the courtyard. The trusses supporting
gallery roof have been altered, with one collar removed;
restored 6-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window overlooking
courtyard from gallery. Small section of C17 timber balustrade
to stair up to second-floor room, which was not seen on
survey. Roof not seen on survey but likely to be of interest.
In spite of the extensive reconstruction work, this is a fine
example of a C17 urban house where the gallery and back block
arrangement is still legible.
Listing NGR: SS5576633242
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings