History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

86 AND 86A, HIGH STREET (See details for further address information)

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0799 / 51°4'47"N

Longitude: -4.0602 / 4°3'36"W

OS Eastings: 255780

OS Northings: 133196

OS Grid: SS557331

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DC6W

Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.D08

Entry Name: 86 AND 86A, HIGH STREET (See details for further address information)

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485632

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533SE HIGH STREET
684-1/7/155 (West side)
31/08/88 Nos.86 AND 86A

GV II

Includes: No.21 CROSS STREET.
National Provincial Bank, later shop, building society and
other offices. 1854, with slightly later extension at far end
of Cross Street front.
High Street front of oolitic limestone ashlar; return to Cross
Street of red brick with similar stone dressings. Rear wing to
Cross Street of red brick with dressings of limestone and
granite. Roof of main range not visible from street, but has
red brick chimney with moulded stone cap and 3 chimneypots
with pockets at right-hand end of return front. Rear wing has
slated mansard roof.
2-room plan to main range; main and back stairs in rear wing.
Italianate style.
3 storeys, with garret over rear wing. Main range has 2-window
range to High Street and 3 windows to Cross Street. Ground
storey rebuilt in C20. Upper storeys to High Street are
rusticated, with pedestal course below the 2nd-storey windows
and a modillioned top cornice. Left-hand window in each storey
has an eared architrave. Right-hand side has matching window
in 2nd storey set in a recess rising through both storeys.
Square flanking columns between antae support an entablature,
above which is a round arch with scroll keystone; within the
arch is a cartouche carrying a coat of arms and flanked by
horns of plenty. Beneath them is carved NATIONAL PROVINCIAL
BANK. Balustraded balcony in front of the window. Flanking the
recess is a pair of attached columns with enriched Ionic
capitals. Entablature breaks forward above each one, where it
is surmounted by a large urn.
Return front to Cross Street has broad rusticated pilaster and
section of entablature at each end; windows in centre have
eared architraves, those in 2nd storey with pulvinated friezes
and cornices. Rear wing is 4-windows wide; segmental-headed
windows with keystones, those in upper storey with barred
sashes. Pedestal-course below 2nd storey. Left-hand bay
differs in having a round-arched stair window, set in a
shallow recess rising through 2nd and 3rd storeys. In ground
storey, second bay from right has round arched doorway with
rusticated granite surround; fanlight with ornate cast-iron
grille. The original ground storey to High Street, with
rusticated masonry, is shown in a photograph of 1881.
INTERIOR: first-floor front rooms have cornices enriched with
rosettes and egg-and-dart. Left-hand room has white marble
chimneypiece with flanking pilasters, frieze and moulded
shelf; pilasters have incised decoration, frieze has
fleur-de-lys at each end and wreath in centre. Cast-iron grate
inscribed WRIGHTS PATENT BIVALVE. Plainer marble chimneypieces
on second floor and in wing.
Main stair, rising from first floor, is a wooden open-well
with closed strings, thin, round iron balusters and continuous
handrail; latter is voluted at the foot round a lily pattern
iron newel.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the National Provincial Bank opened its
branch on this site in 1835. In 1854 RD Gould advertised for a
contractor to rebuild the bank according to a design prepared
by the architect to the bank. It is not clear whether the
architect was Gould himself or someone employed nationally by
the bank.
(North Devon Journal: 20.4.1854: Barnstaple: 1854-: 8;
Churches File; Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-1897: 1897-:
238).

Listing NGR: SS5578033196

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.