This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0796 / 51°4'46"N
Longitude: -4.0599 / 4°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 255805
OS Northings: 133161
OS Grid: SS558331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCB9
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.D4S
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WHR+R3
Entry Name: 93, High Street
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385177
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485639
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533SE HIGH STREET
684-1/7/162 (West side)
House with shop. 1850. By RD Gould of Barnstaple. Side walls
retain earlier work, including some of at least C17. Stone
rubble, rendered externally. Slated roof.
Gallery-and-back-block, apparently rebuilt in this form in
1850. Front block partitions removed, but position of chimneys
suggests the plan was one room wide and 2 long rooms deep.
Back block 3 rooms deep, the room at the front divided from
the others by a stone wall. Courtyard between the blocks
infilled in ground storey; C19 gallery to left in upper
storeys. Former kitchen at rear of back block.
3 storeys. one window wide. Shop front had been removed by
1993. 2nd storey has tripartite window with narrow
side-lights. Panelled flanking pilasters support entablature
with enriched frieze and dentilled cornice; latter is broken
in centre by a segmental pediment on moulded consoles. Window
contains coloured leaded glass. Similar window in 3rd storey,
but here a deep panelled frieze is surmounted above the whole
window by a triangular pediment, this breaking forward from a
moulded top cornice and blocking-course. In centre of pediment
is a wreath. Barred sashes with 4 panes in the centre and 2 at
the sides; moulded cill continued as a plain band across whole
INTERIOR: was being substantially rebuilt at time of
inspection. Walls were stripped of plaster, showing high up on
left side wall of front block, about half-way down, the
chamfered stone frame of a former window. In front section of
back block is a C19 wooden dogleg stair with closed strings,
column newels and thin square balusters (most missing). Front
block has king-post-and-ridge roof. Back block has A-frame
roof without tie beam, collars pegged to faces of principal
rafters. All rear windows have small-paned late C20 wood
HISTORICAL NOTE: builder says that in cellar and behind
ground-storey panelling he found the name D (or B?) A Lilley
in C19 handwriting with date 1850. The house stands in the
middle of a long row of listed buildings. Until 1959 it
belonged to the Barnstaple Bridge Trust. In 1857 the occupants
were William Lilley & Co, linen and woollen drapers.
(Cruse JB: The Long Bridge of Barnstaple: Barnstaple: 1982-:
17, 28-9 (PL); Billing M: Directory of Devon: 1857-: 239).
Listing NGR: SS5579533154
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings