This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.08 / 51°4'48"N
Longitude: -4.0586 / 4°3'30"W
OS Eastings: 255895
OS Northings: 133206
OS Grid: SS558332
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCN0
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.DMZ
Entry Name: Iron Gates and Piers Between St Anne's Chapel and Parish Hall
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485716
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Iron gates and piers between St Anne's Chapel and Parish Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Iron gates & piers spanning the Row between St Anne's Chapel & Parish Hall)
Gates and gate piers. Probably 1863. Open-work cast iron. Pair of gates set between square-section piers. Gates decorated with quatrefoils, ogee arches and spear-heads, piers with 4-leaved flowers and other Gothic ornament. A few of the ornaments appear to have been replaced by flat-fronted replicas. Northern pier has a central crocketed pinnacle on top with a similar, smaller pinnacle on each corner; on east side the smaller pinnacles have been replaced by plainer near-replicas. On the southern pier all the pinnacles have been replaced after the same fashion.
The gates do not span the whole width of the Row, and never seem to have done so. They may have been the gates from the Butcher's Row end of Church Lane removed by the Town Council in 1889 or 1890 without the churchwarden's consent. The intention in January 1890 was to re-site the gates, but no decision had yet been taken.
Devon Record Office, Faculty Petitions, St Peter and St Paul, Barnstaple, No.2.
North Devon Athenaum, Barnstaple, Harper's Albums, Vol. 6, pp. 39,41.
Listing NGR: SS5589533206
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings