This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0799 / 51°4'47"N
Longitude: -4.0588 / 4°3'31"W
OS Eastings: 255879
OS Northings: 133190
OS Grid: SS558331
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.DCKW
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.DKV
Entry Name: Parish Hall Including Boundary Wall and Gates Enclosing Front Lawn
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485714
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS558331SE PATERNOSTER ROW
684-1/9/211 (South side)
31/08/88 Parish Hall including boundary wall
and gates enclosing front lawn
Parish hall, originally called Parish Rooms. 1894-5. By WC
Oliver of Barnstaple. Squared stone rubble with limestone
dressings; quoins and relieving arches of a purplish local
stone. Slated roof with red ridge-tiles pierced with a trefoil
pattern. Stone chimney with crenellated top on left gable.
2 storeys. 6-bay front in Gothic style. Main hall on first
floor approached by long flights of stone steps leading to
doorways in right-hand bay and in second bay from left. Ground
storey has trefoil-headed windows with plain, chamfered
surrounds. More elaborate traceried windows with pointed
arches in upper storey. Those between the 2 doorways are
paired, with central column having shaft of red sandstone.
Patterned glazing. Doorways have 2-centred pointed arches and
are set in slight projections with battlemented tops. Steps in
front have side walls of stone with chamfered copings. Both
gable walls (visible from Church Lane and Paternoster Row)
have traceried windows. Against left gable is a low,
flat-roofed projection with battlements and with windows
having pointed arches.
INTERIOR: according to 1988 list description, is plain, except
that hall on upper floor has arch-braced roof-trusses and a
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: lawn in front of hall has stone rubble
boundary wall, with chamfered coping, on N and W sides. Main
entrance from Paternoster Row has rectangular ashlar gate
piers with chamfered corners. Upon them stand iron lamp-posts
with twisted and fluted shafts; original lamps missing. Pair
of openwork iron gates decorated with scrolls and 4-leaved
flowers. On the corner of Church Lane is a smaller openwork
iron gate decorated with quatrefoils and spearheads.
(North Devon Journal: 21.12.1893, 14.6.1894).
Listing NGR: SS5587933190
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings