This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0848 / 51°5'5"N
Longitude: -4.0609 / 4°3'39"W
OS Eastings: 255746
OS Northings: 133736
OS Grid: SS557337
Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CYX2
Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.5Q8
Plus Code: 9C3Q3WMQ+WJ
Entry Name: Pilton Bridge and Causeway South of Pilton Quay Including Gates and Piers to Pilton Park
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485720
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5533 PILTON CAUSEWAY, Pilton
684-1/6/309 Pilton Bridge and causeway S of
31/08/88 Pilton Quay, incl gates & piers to
(Formerly Listed as:
PILTON BRIDGE AND CAUSEWAY, Pilton
Whole length of bridge & causeway
from Pilton Quay ... to bridge over
Bridge and causeway crossing and skirting the River Yeo. 1451,
bridge rebuilt 1678; both widened by 3m in 1821.
Bridge is of rubble with coping of chamfered granite blocks.
It has 2 round arches springing from a central pier with low
cutwater on W side (E side is buried under late C20
roadworks). Above the cutwater is a shallow buttress rising to
a plain string course just above the voussoirs of the arches.
Similar buttress at S end. Parapet on W side only. The
underside of the bridge (seen from a distance) seems to show
evidence of 2 builds.
Parapet, complete with chamfered granite coping, continues
right down the western side of the causeway, interrupted by 4
gates. The most northerly of these is a late C20 insertion,
but the middle 2 (entering Pilton Park) are mid or late C19
with square stone ashlar piers and moulded tops; the low
pyramidal caps appear to have been replaced in concrete.
Original cast-iron gates survive, with spearheads and circular
panels containing flowers; at the bottom a pair of
intersecting diagonal braces with a boss bearing an illegible
inscription. Southern gate, also leading into the park, has
square piers of coursed stone rubble with pyramidal caps
encased in cement.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1451 Bishop Lacey granted an indulgence to
penitents contributing to the bridge and causeway between
Pilton and Barnstaple. In 1897, during work on the Lynton and
Barnstaple railway, a 2-foot square stone was found,
inscribed: `This causeway and the bridge were widened ten feet
by public subscription in the year 1821 Shaddick and Knill,
Bridge over mill leat to south not included.
(Gribble JP: Memorials of Barnstaple: 1830-: 567-8, 618;
Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-1897: 1897-: 229; Chanter JR &
Wainwright T: Barnstaple Records: 1900-: 248).
Listing NGR: SS5574633736
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings