This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0063 / 51°0'22"N
Longitude: -0.1015 / 0°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 533290
OS Northings: 124702
OS Grid: TQ332247
Mapcode National: GBR KN5.Z0C
Mapcode Global: FRA B6PG.67S
Plus Code: 9C3X2V4X+G9
Entry Name: Church of St Richard
Listing Date: 4 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485748
Location: Haywards Heath, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH16
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Haywards Heath
Built-Up Area: Haywards Heath
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Haywards Heath St Richard
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 32 SW SYDNEY ROAD
1349/4/10009 CHURCH OF ST RICHARD
Church. Designed by Kier Hett in 1937, opened 1938 but chancel completed in 1942. Style is a mixture of Art Deco and Scandinavian. Structure of reinforced concrete but clad in local brick in English bond with tiled roof. Cruciform shape. 5 bay nave with aisles, 3 bay chancel, chapel in north transept and baptistery in south transept. Steeply pitched roof with hipped dormers with leaded lights, 4 to nave and 2 to chancel. Main entrance through south transept which has large gable with weatherboarded gablet on wooden brackets forming bellcote. Round-headed leaded light window and stepped parapetted porch having central shallow pediment with cross and date 1938 and round-headed entrance flanked by brick pilasters. West front has large gable with central set back round-headed window with leaded lights. Doorcase has large ribbed concrete lintel with flattened pediment above with cross and recessed doorcase with double doors flanked by sidelights. North transept has gable with 2-light window with round-headed tympanum above and 4-light window below. Flat roofed vestry in south east angle. East gable has no windows but instead a large tiled inlaid cross.
INTERIOR: Porch in north transept has double doors with leaded lights and linenfold panels with good metal fittings. Concrete hexagonal-ribbed crossing and octagonal-ribbed nave and chancel. Nave has balcony at west end with cast iron and oak patterned handrail incorporating four crosses. Wooden winder staircase to it has chrome handrail. Original pews. South transept has later C20 stained glass depicting Virgin and Child, octagonal tapering stone font with cross and wave decoration and octagonal font cover with dove. North transept has 'GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO'. Wooden winder staircase leading to it has chrome handrail. South chapel below has original wooden pews and altar rails and square metal ceiling lights. Later C20 stained glass window of St Richard of Chichester and Virgin, Child and shepherds. Octagonal oak pulpit on tapering stone base and chair. Oak floor. Chancel has three steps and stone floor and is dated June 6th 1942. Piscina to south east and cupboard to north east.
Listing NGR: TQ3329024702
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings