History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Almshouses Including Front Garden Wall and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0862 / 51°5'10"N

Longitude: -4.0622 / 4°3'43"W

OS Eastings: 255663

OS Northings: 133901

OS Grid: SS556339

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.CYHX

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C7.Z4S

Entry Name: Lower Almshouses Including Front Garden Wall and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 31 December 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385307

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485769

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Pilton with Ashford

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533 PILTON STREET, Pilton
684-1/6/340 (West side)
31/12/73 Nos.1-6 Lower Almshouses including
front garden wall and gate piers

GV II

Row of 6 almshouses. Dated 1860. Stone rubble. Slated roof. 4
stone rubble chimneys with moulded cornices; good pots of
several different types, some spiked.
A single range lying at right-angles to street; the almshouses
arranged in 3 pairs, each pair with a shared door. In front of
them a garden with curtilage wall and gate-piers along the
street frontage.
One storey with garret Tudor-style. 6-window range. Doorways
have chamfered surrounds with pyramid stops and cranked heads;
double plank doors. Ground-storey windows of 3 lights with
chamfered stone mullions; relieving arches. Garret windows
take the form of dormer gables with 2-light mullioned window
matching those below; moulded barge-boards with collar beams,
the inner edges ot the barge-boards above this level cut to
form a trefoil. Lights in all the windows 3-paned with metal
glazing bars.
Gable wall to street has projecting chimney-breast, stepped on
left side. Attached to it on a pair of corbels is a stone
plaque inscribed: 'THESE ALMSHOUSES WERE REBUILT AT THE
EXPENSE OF THE CHARITY BY THE UNDERMENTIONED FEOFFEES. A.D.
1860.' 6 names follow, including the Revd Wm C Hall. To the
right of the chimney-breast in each storey is a 3-paned
single-light window with chamfered surround, that in ground
storey with relieving arch. Gable finished with stone coping;
kneelers at the front. INTERIORS not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: low stone rubble garden wall with
chamfered coping. Square gate piers with pyramidal caps.


Listing NGR: SS5566433901

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.