This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.545 / 52°32'42"N
Longitude: 0.9774 / 0°58'38"E
OS Eastings: 601986
OS Northings: 298297
OS Grid: TM019982
Mapcode National: GBR SDB.FXQ
Mapcode Global: VHKBX.W9K9
Plus Code: 9F42GXWG+2X
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385361
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485823
Location: Great Ellingham, Breckland, Norfolk, NR17
Civil Parish: Great Ellingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Ellingham Great St James
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM09NW Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. c.1630 timber frame, with brick skin applied to north elevation c.1780, and a full-height rear outshut in c.1860. Further C20 alterations. Timber frame, brick and flint; pantiled roofs with brick left ridge and right end stacks.
PLAN: lobby-entrance plan with parlour-hall-service disposition.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 4-window range. North elevation divided into 3 elements by means of 4 full-heights pilasters with reconstituted stone strings at the eaves. Central bay with door set to left: 6-panelled raised and fielded door within a bolection doorcase with panelled jambs and scrolled consoles supporting entablature hood with dentils. C19 3/3 horned sash to right of door, and one similar sash in each of the outer bays. Gauged skewback arches with the inner edge of each arch truncated when the openings narrowed in the C19. Above door is one 8/8 unhorned sash within a flush frame; remainder are 3-light casements of the 1950s. Ridge stack over door, and an internal gable-end stack to the west.
Rear elevation with full-height mid C19 outshut running from west gable to a line east of the stack: flint with brick dressings and partly rendered. Late C20 conservatory attached. One 10/10 unhorned sash to first floor of outshut wall, and 2 late C20 light casements. Single-storey C20 outshut abuts to the east.
INTERIOR: former parlour to east end: chamfered spine beam running into a bridging beam over the fireplace opening. Fireplace with plain cambered bressumer. 2-panel late C18 fielded door from entrance lobby.
Entrance lobby with winder staircase on north side.
Main room west of stack (former hall) with one chamfered bridging beam with tongue stops.
Joists also chamfered and with tongue stops. C19 partition at west end. Wide inglenook fireplace rebuilt late C20 under a cambered and chamfered bressumer.
West room (former service rooms) with chamfered bridging beam and joists as before. Mortise holes indicate original partition was of 2 rooms of different size.
First floor with heads of splayed principal studs, linked by chamfered tie beams with tongue stops. Truss west of the stack with mortise holes in tie beam and studs to take very large arched braces. Passageway partition inserted on south side in C19. East room over parlour with cruciform bridging beams, and a 2-panel late C18 door with raised fielding.
Roof of principals, secondaries and 2 tiers of purlins. Upper tier clasped with the collars and diminished principals, the lower tier butted into the principals. Curved windbracing to some bays.
Listing NGR: TM0198698297
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings