This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8236 / 51°49'24"N
Longitude: -0.1921 / 0°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 524696
OS Northings: 215429
OS Grid: TL246154
Mapcode National: GBR J8W.L7Y
Mapcode Global: VHGPD.MF9D
Plus Code: 9C3XRRF5+C5
Entry Name: Welwyn North Railway Station and Footbridge
Listing Date: 4 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385391
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485853
Location: Welwyn, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL6
Civil Parish: Welwyn
Built-Up Area: Welwyn Garden City
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Digswell
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 21 NW HARMER GREEN LANE
77/2/10049 (West side)
04-OCT-00 Welwyn North Railway Station and
Railway Station and Footbridge. 1850 for the Great Northern Railway, late C19 footbridge. Red brick with minimal stone dressings, Welsh slate roof, cast and wrought iron platform canopies and footbridge. The main building is on the upside. Italianate villa style, but very plain.
Yard elevation of two storeys, the wing to the left stands forward a trifle, blind on the ground floor, first floor band and cill band, paired narrow windows above. To the right the ground floor has a through arch with two arched windows, 3 pane sashes to right, band as before. Paired windows above with central blind panel. Hipped roofs with eaves overhang on brackets, chimney at either end. Waiting room to right with three arched doorways, lavatories to left.
Platform elevation has a small canopy on four cast iron columns with decorative brackets, slightly fretted valance. The features to this elevation are the same as before. All the windows
of the old station house are boarded up.
Interior not inspected.
Wrought iron lattice girder footbridge of the late C19 with cast iron columns and stair railings. This has been raised to accommodate the electric catenaries and shows signs of alteration but has good group value with the station building as does the portal of Welwyn tunnel to the north.
The downside buildings have been replaced.
History: This station was opened as Welwyn on the Great Northern Railway and was changed to Welwyn North by the London and North Eastern Railway when Welwyn Garden City station was opened in 1926. The line was engineered by William and Joseph Cubitt and built by Thomas Brassey.
The main building has been remarkably little altered.
References: R.V.J.Butt, The Directory of Railway Stations, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1995. O.S.Nock, The Great Northern Railway, Ian Allan, 1974.
Listing NGR: TL2469615429
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings