This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4463 / 51°26'46"N
Longitude: -0.0859 / 0°5'9"W
OS Eastings: 533110
OS Northings: 173660
OS Grid: TQ331736
Mapcode National: GBR HL.M06
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.GXF4
Plus Code: 9C3XCWW7+GJ
Entry Name: Dulwich Old College
Listing Date: 30 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470817
Location: Southwark, London, SE21
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Dulwich St Barnabas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3373 COLLEGE ROAD
636-1/15/233 (West side)
30/06/54 Dulwich Old College
Chapel, almshouses and school, now offices. c1613-19, with
later alterations and rebuildings. By John Benson, bricklayer
contractor. For Edward Alleyn. Buildings stuccoed in 1821.
Tiled and slate roofs.
PLAN: a complex of buildings grouped around a quadrangle.
East range of former almshouses, now called Edward Alleyn
House. Opened 1619, rebuilt 1738-9; remodelled 1821 by George
Tappen, college surveyor. South range of chapel, much repaired
and altered. Original central tower fell in 1631. Ground floor
cloister and central tower both of coursed rubble added by
Charles Barry Junior, 1866. West range was school, now
offices. Early C19 and C20 alterations.
EXTERIOR: East range: courtyard elevation has 3 full-height
projecting bays with entrances at sides. 2- and 3-light
Tudor-style windows with mullions and transoms. Buttresses at
intervals. Strings above and below 1st floor. Slate roof
behind parapet with finialled pediment motif above each bay
window. 5 groups of clustered cylindrical chimney shafts to
ridge. Plain facade to College Road.
Chapel: courtyard elevation of 7 bays with buttresses between
4-light Tudor-style windows. Pitched roof behind parapet.
Loggia arcaded with parapet and buttresses. Central tower of 3
stages with French-style slate roof and iron cresting. Gable
end to College Road has pointed, traceried window to 1st floor
between stepped buttresses; extensions to left.
School range: courtyard elevation of 7 bays has 3 slightly
projecting gabled sections with buttresses and decorative
barge-boards. Eaves cornice to pitched tiled roof.
Round-arched openings with doorway in central bay. Windows
have latticed leaded lights, those on ground floor single or
paired, those above in groups of 4. String above and below
upper floor. Square, angle buttresses to north gable end.
INTERIOR: of chapel remodelled 1823. Includes font of 1729 by
Gibbs and reredos of 1911 by WD Caroe.
Quadrangle enclosed until 1866 with decorative iron gateway,
now re-sited (qv).
Dulwich Old College, entrance gates and piers form a group
with Old Grammar School, Gallery Road (qqv).
Listing NGR: TQ3311073660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings