This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4523 / 51°27'8"N
Longitude: -0.0599 / 0°3'35"W
OS Eastings: 534904
OS Northings: 174376
OS Grid: TQ349743
Mapcode National: GBR JF.7KT
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.XR6J
Plus Code: 9C3XFW2R+W3
Entry Name: Honor Oak Baptist Church and Attached Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 25 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470933
Location: Southwark, London, SE22
Electoral Ward/Division: Peckham Rye
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Honor Oak Park, St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3474SE FOREST HILL ROAD
636-1/61/344 (North East side)
25/08/98 Honor Oak Baptist Church and
attached walls and railings
Baptist church. Dated 1891. By George Baines; builder J Scott.
MATERIALS: brick in Flemish bond, with stone dressings and
polished granite. Roofs of slate with crest tiles. Gothic
EXTERIOR: all openings pointed arched and in stone unless
High 5-side apse, the 3 eastmost facets finishing in facing
gables with 2-light windows; roof finishes in cast-iron
finial. Facing gable to vestry on ritual south-east and hipped
roof to that on the north. Nave of 5 bays, with north and
south aisles; west porch flanked by turrets with high mansard
roofs and cast-iron finials. Between ritual north turret and
porch a spirelet, now missing its peak. On the centre of the
nave ridge a square cupola with high mansarded roof.
Box-framed dormer in eastmost bay of north aisle. North aisle
elevation in 2nd and 4th bays finish in gabled dormers, each
pierced by 2-light windows. Remaining bays lit by sexfoil
roundels. All ground-floor windows lit by double lancets; each
bay marked by setback buttresses.
At west end, aisles angled back to form an arched join with
polygonal turret; flat-arched door in pointed-arch aedicule to
north face of turret. Top stage of flanking west turrets lit
by clerestory lights and lancets in pointed-arched surrounds.
West elevation dominated by pair of 2-light windows set in
super arch, its peak pierced by quatrefoil round; lower
section of window occluded by gable of entrance.
Shallow entrance porch entered by 2-light diaphragm arch;
sub-ordered jambs and polished granite shafts. Gable kneelers
to porch and clasping buttresses to sides. Small lancet to
either side lights narthex. Peak of gable to porch bears
shield with date 1891. Inscribed to left of entrance: This
stone was laid by J. Briscoe President of London Baptist
Association, 22 April 1891, I. Samuel VII 12v. George Baines
Architect. To the left the following inscription: This stone
was laid by the Revd J. T. Walker, Ex-President of Baptist
Union, 22 April, 1891, Psalm CXVIII, J. Scott Builder.
INTERIOR: sexpartite wood vaulting to shallow apse;
sub-ordered chancel arch on corbel shafts. All corbel shafts
carved with naturalistic ornament of great vigour. Nave arcade
carried on cast-iron columns, originally intended for
galleries, never constructed; each arch consists of pointed,
timber-arched truss. Arched braces span the aisles. Tied
hammer beam truss to each nave bay with pointed, wood boarded
FITTINGS: the chancel furnishings, organ, and baptistry at the
ritual east end are intact and noteworthy, as are the original
benches in the easternmost bays of the nave.
After 1960 the west end of nave given a drop ceiling and
enclosure which has not harmed the original architecture.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached low brick walls with piers at
regular intervals and cast-iron railings.
Listing NGR: TQ3490474376
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings