This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4526 / 51°27'9"N
Longitude: -0.1006 / 0°6'2"W
OS Eastings: 532074
OS Northings: 174332
OS Grid: TQ320743
Mapcode National: GBR GR.9B1
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.6RPB
Entry Name: Half Moon Public House
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470995
Location: Southwark, London, SE24
Electoral Ward/Division: Village
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Herne Hill
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
HALF MOON LANE (South side)
Half Moon Public House
Public house. Dated 1896 on gable. Red brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick, artificial stone, terracotta dressings; ground-floor with polished granite columns. Mansarded roofs of various descriptions, all turnerised.
STYLE: Jacobeathan Revival.
PLAN: rectangular corner plan, with corner itself chamfered.
EXTERIOR: three storeys stepping down to two to left and rear. Seven-window range, one-window range at corner and five-window range to return. Five flat-arched entrances, that to corner designed as the main one. All windows are flat-arched unless otherwise stated. Ground floor treated as pilastrade of Composite order, supporting an entablature, which is topped by a pediment over each entrance. In the centre of main elevation a bulbous attached column supports a first-floor balcony set under a canted, open porch which is, in turn, topped by a truncated gable and a second-floor balcony with pierced strapwork parapet. This ensemble set in a full-height, round-arched recess, pierced at top by a Serlian window with panelled over spandrel. The fourth to sixth window ranges are treated as a single Dutch-gabled bay with scrolled parapets and finials. A first-floor porch in the corner range with Elizabethan-style columns; round-arched window; window above set in aedicule consisting of pedimented hood that projects above eaves of high mansard roof, topped by a bellcote, which crowns the corner range. Second-window range on return treated as a gabled bay. Entrance porch with polished granite columns to rear of return elevation. On the main elevation, first-floor windows in the third and seventh window ranges are tripartite and round-arched. The 2nd-floor windows alternate with round-arched recesses; the windows have scrolled aprons and plaques of brick cut and rubbed to resemble swags. High hipped roof to second-window range which projects slightly to form a bay. High stacks to centre and end walls, some with floral decoration. To the rear of the return there is a single square stack in the plain of the outer wall.
INTERIOR: public bar intact; original panelling and coloured glass; etched mirrors of original design. Some mirrors with painted decoration of good quality depicting birds and flowers. The proliferation of ornament across the surface of this building gives the whole a sense of vital unity through their sheer number, a design approach characteristic of large public houses built c1895.
Listing NGR: TQ3207474332
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings