This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4756 / 51°28'32"N
Longitude: -0.0835 / 0°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 533192
OS Northings: 176921
OS Grid: TQ331769
Mapcode National: GBR TT.D6
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.H5PN
Plus Code: 9C3XFWG8+6H
Entry Name: Former Circular Ward for St Giles Hospital
Listing Date: 30 December 1986
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385597
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471000
Location: St. Giles, Southwark, London, SE5
Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick Park
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Camberwell St Giles with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3376 HAVIL STREET
636-1/11/422 (West side)
Former circular ward for St Giles'
(Formerly Listed as:
Circular Ward at St Giles Hospital)
Hospital ward. 1888. By Robert P Whellock. For St Giles'
Hospital. Dark red brick with stone dressings; tiled steeply
pitched roof. Circular plan with polygonal extension to west
and smaller north projection.
4 identical storeys, basement and attic with gabled dormers
above brick cornice. Round-headed windows to basement;
small-paned casements with fixed overlights and stone lintels
to upper floors, square-headed except those at 3rd floor
beneath gables, which are round-headed with keystones.
Pilasters between windows rising from ground to 3rd-floor
sills. Iron balconies on all floors to south-west.
Ventilation shaft runs full height of building, emerging above
roofline as central octagonal chimney stack with gablets
below. Each floor designed as an open ward arranged radially
around outer wall. North and west extensions designed for
lifts, nurses' accommodation etc., and some isolation wards at
attic level. Basement originally a fuel store for central
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Designed as one of 2 identical towers, the second never built.
Of historic interest as early and rare example of circular
Listing NGR: TQ3319276921
Other nearby listed buildings