This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.496 / 51°29'45"N
Longitude: -0.1083 / 0°6'30"W
OS Eastings: 531411
OS Northings: 179148
OS Grid: TQ314791
Mapcode National: GBR MK.TW
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.2NLJ
Entry Name: Imperial War Museum
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471044
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Holy Trinity and St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3179 LAMBETH ROAD
636-1/4/462 (South side)
27/09/72 Imperial War Museum
Bethlehem hospital for the insane, now museum. 1812-14,
extended 1835, 1844-46. By James Lewis, surveyor to the
Bridewell and Bethlehem Hospitals. Enlargements and
alterations by Sydney Smirke and P Hardwick, 1835 and 1844-6;
converted into museum c1936. Damaged and restored after World
MATERIALS: brick with stone details and hipped slate roof.
PLAN: central block of 3 storeys and basement, 17 bays
surmounted by octagonal dome on drum with copper roof which
contained chapel and replaced original cupola in 1840s; dome
rebuilt after fire in 1970s. Side wings of 1844-6 now
EXTERIOR: front has projecting section of 11 bays surmounted
by stone balustraded parapet; stone hexastyle Ionic portico to
central 5 bays (also of 1840s) with pediment containing coat
of arms and inscription on frieze: "Hen. VIII. Rege. Fvndatvm.
Civivm. Largitas. Perfecit". Wider central entrance with
panelled pilasters supporting entablature with cornice,
smaller flanking entrances. Ground-floor windows with moulded
stone architraves and aprons. 1st-floor windows similar but
with entablature and cornice; 1st-floor sill band. 2nd-floor
small windows with moulded stone architraves. Long, plain
wings to returns with round-headed windows.
INTERIOR: much altered.
HISTORICAL NOTE: hospital founded in 1246 and associated with
the insane from 1400. Moved from Moorfields to Southwark in
1812 and to Beckenham in 1926. The surrounding grounds are now
the Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park.
Listing NGR: TQ3141179148
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings