This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4631 / 51°27'47"N
Longitude: -0.0512 / 0°3'4"W
OS Eastings: 535478
OS Northings: 175593
OS Grid: TQ354755
Mapcode National: GBR JD.HRY
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.2H97
Entry Name: Chapel of Nunhead Cemetery
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471050
Location: Southwark, London, SE15
Electoral Ward/Division: Nunhead
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Nunhead St Antony with St Silas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3575NW LINDEN GROVE
636-1/50/469 (South East side)
27/09/72 Chapel of Nunhead Cemetery
(Formerly Listed as:
Chapel of Nunhead Cemetery
Anglican cemetery chapel, now deconsecrated. 1844. By Thomas
Little. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings.
PLAN: immediately inside the building, which is entered
through a square porte-cochere, there is a transverse bay
leading into the main hexagonal space of the chapel.
EXTERIOR: the impressive porte cochere has a ribbed vault , 4
very tall and slender pinnacles, and much fine stone detail in
the Decorated style. At each end of the transverse bay are
3-light windows with flowing tracery. The one other window
which can be seen (the others being hidden by ivy) has 2
lights and similar reticulated tracery.
Despite its current poor state, this building still makes a
dramatic statement, standing as it does at the head of the
avenue facing the main gates.
Listing NGR: TQ3547875593
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings