This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4611 / 51°27'39"N
Longitude: -0.0521 / 0°3'7"W
OS Eastings: 535421
OS Northings: 175369
OS Grid: TQ354753
Mapcode National: GBR JD.PK0
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.1JVS
Entry Name: Monument to John Allan, Nunhead Cemetery
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385650
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471054
Location: Southwark, London, SE15
Electoral Ward/Division: Peckham Rye
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Nunhead St Antony with St Silas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3575SW LINDEN GROVE
636-1/52/475 Monument to John Allan, Nunhead
Funerary monument. After 1865. To John Allan, d.1865.
Possibly by Matthew Noble. Granite aedicule on 2-stage base,
with 4 columns per side, surmounted by an arched roof with 2
lion masks per side and a ridge with 2 Celtic cross finials.
Steps leading to vault in front. Marble relief of the
Ascension on front, bronze portrait roundel on rear. 4
pedestals at corners, originally each with an urn above (some
missing at time of inspection). Projecting coffin-like slab in
front of the aedicule was originally flanked by a pair of
mourning female figures.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Allan was a successful Whitby-born shipowner.
A portrait in marble of Allan was exhibited by Matthew Noble
at the 1867 RA. The monument is based upon the Pavaya
Mausoleum at Xanthos, discovered in the 1830s. The most
elaborate monument in the cemetery.
Listing NGR: TQ3542175369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings