This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4893 / 51°29'21"N
Longitude: -0.0636 / 0°3'49"W
OS Eastings: 534535
OS Northings: 178487
OS Grid: TQ345784
Mapcode National: GBR YN.V8
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.VT7N
Plus Code: 9C3XFWQP+PH
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385687
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471091
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: South Bermondsey
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Anne and St Augustine
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3478SE LYNTON ROAD
636-1/29/510 (South side)
27/09/72 Church of St Augustine
Church. 1875-1878, west end 1882-3. By Henry Jarvis and Son,
architects; vestries added 1907 by Hesketh & Stokes.
MATERIALS: red brick with stone dressings and pitched slate
STYLE: Early English.
PLAN: Lofty 5-bay nave with clerestory, aisles and
straight-ended ambulatory to 3-bay chancel; concrete vaulted
undercroft. North extension of 1 bay at crossing and gabled
porch to west end of north aisle.
EXTERIOR: east tower designed but never built. Large west
window with tiers of lancets, rose window in gable; entrances
to centre and right below. Ground-floor windows double lancets
with 5-light grouped lancets inside. Plate-traceried
clerestory windows with groups of 3 lancets, 2-light openings
INTERIOR: has richly moulded arches to nave on figure-8 shaped
sandstone piers with carved leaf capitals, clerestory windows
behind arcade above string course. Slightly higher vaulted
chancel with stone ribs and brick panels. North organ chamber
and south chapel.
Church established in poor area by Richard Foster.
Listing NGR: TQ3453578487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings