This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4636 / 51°27'48"N
Longitude: -0.0616 / 0°3'41"W
OS Eastings: 534748
OS Northings: 175626
OS Grid: TQ347756
Mapcode National: GBR ZY.9J
Mapcode Global: VHGR6.WG8W
Plus Code: 9C3XFW7Q+C8
Entry Name: Church of St Antholin
Listing Date: 27 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471145
Location: Southwark, London, SE15
Electoral Ward/Division: Peckham Rye
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Nunhead St Antony with St Silas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3475 NUNHEAD LANE
636-1/13/542 (South side)
27/09/72 Church of St Antholin
Church. 1877. By Ewan Christian, restored after war damage,
1957 by Laurence King. Red brick, Early English style with
lancet windows. Aisled. Of special interest because of reredos
from Wren's Church of St Antholin, Watling Street, demolished
in the 1870s.
INTERIOR: this timber structure, also damaged but skilfully
restored, has Fluted Corinthian half-columns supporting 3-bay
entablature with segmental pediments at either side. Centre
section has blank arches with gold angels' heads in spandrels
above decalogue; acanthus carving on panel beneath. Flanking
sections, with swags of carved fruit and flowers between
capitals, inscribed with the Lord's Prayer and the Creed.
Scrolled cresting probably replaced.
Listing NGR: TQ3474875626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings