This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5053 / 51°30'18"N
Longitude: -0.0916 / 0°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 532544
OS Northings: 180207
OS Grid: TQ325802
Mapcode National: GBR RG.KL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.CFDF
Plus Code: 9C3XGW45+48
Entry Name: 1-11, Park Street
Listing Date: 8 January 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471159
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280SE PARK STREET
636-1/17/559 (East side)
08/01/98 Nos.1-11 (Odd)
6 terraced houses. 1831, later C19 shops. By Henry Rose. Brick
in Flemish bond and hipped roof of slate to No.5, the rest
hidden by a parapet.
3 storeys, No.5 with 2 dormers; Nos 1-5 & 9 of 2-window range,
the rest of 3 windows each. Substantial remains of C19 shop
fronts with broad fascia and projecting cornice; pilasters on
party walls and brackets to cornice of No.5. 6x6 sashes of an
authentic design to 1st and 2nd floors, except for 2nd floor
of No.3. Stucco-faced parapet to 2nd floor.
Stucco plaque between 1st and 2nd floors of No.7: 'This part
of the estate of the late Thomas Cure Esq, Sadler to Queen
Elizabeth and Founder of the College was rebuilt AD 1831. John
Wild Jr., Warden, Archt. [obscured]'.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the houses were built to generate income for
almshouses that stood to the rear of the site and were reached
through the gap between Nos 11 & 13 (qv). When the railway was
constructed these almshouses were rebuilt in Norwood.
Listing NGR: TQ3254180204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings