This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4958 / 51°29'44"N
Longitude: -0.0747 / 0°4'28"W
OS Eastings: 533750
OS Northings: 179186
OS Grid: TQ337791
Mapcode National: GBR WK.CZ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.NNDP
Entry Name: Bermondsey Public Library and Attached Railings and Piers
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385931
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471351
Location: Southwark, London, SE16
Electoral Ward/Division: Grange
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3379 SPA ROAD
636-1/5/716 (North West side)
Bermondsey Public Library and
attached railings and piers
Public library. Dated 1890-91. By John Johnson, architect. F
and H Higgs, builders. Brick in Flemish bond with terracotta
and stone trim. Slate roofs, hipped over end ranges and
mansard over the centre.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic over basement. 5-window range.
Elliptical-arched entrance in centre, doors of original
design, the whole set under a porch supported by rusticated,
coupled Ionic columns; similar Ionic pilasters continue across
the ground floor framing 2-light, flat-arched windows with
stone surrounds and mullions.
To the right a single-storey wing, stone courses alternating
with brick and a plaque bearing inaugural inscription.
Flat-arched windows to return. A spandrel band below
ground-floor windows ornamented with a bull's eye. Second
entrance to left-hand range. First-floor windows have 2 lights
and flat arches, as below, but are set in a round-arched
arcade, the piers ornamented by an acanthus-leaf springing
band; tympana ornamented with floral spray; arches turn in
brick and stone voussoirs, the keystones historiated. Arcading
continues on the right return.
The rhythm of windows doubles in the attic storey, all are
elliptical arches with springing band and polychromed arches
similar to 1st-floor arcade. Centre pair of windows has
balcony enclosed by cast-iron railing. Entablature with
garland frieze in terracotta. Segmental pediment to centre
range, in parapet, and above a Dutch gable with urns and
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: walls, piers and railings to entrance and
areas. Also included is the pair of stone piers with hipped
capstones leading to what was, formerly, an alley along the
(The South London Press, 23 January 1892).
Listing NGR: TQ3375079186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings