History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manzes Eel, Pie and Mash Shop

A Grade II Listed Building in Southwark, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4963 / 51°29'46"N

Longitude: -0.0829 / 0°4'58"W

OS Eastings: 533176

OS Northings: 179228

OS Grid: TQ331792

Mapcode National: GBR TK.JS

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.JN19

Entry Name: Manzes Eel, Pie and Mash Shop

Listing Date: 17 September 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471398

Location: Southwark, London, SE1

County: London

District: Southwark

Electoral Ward/Division: Chaucer

Built-Up Area: Southwark

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Bermondsey

Listing Text


SOUTHWARK

TQ3379 TOWER BRIDGE ROAD
636-1/5/790 (West side)
No.87
Manze's Eel, Pie and Mash Shop

II

House with shop. Late C19. Red brick; roof parapeted.
3 storeys and 2 window range. Authentic glazing. Shop-front
flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters; blind box and awning
in working order. External woodwork stained brown, and, to
either side of central door, are windows with plate-glass
sashes and wide marble sills for serving customers from the
pavement.
INTERIOR: the eel and pie shop was fitted up as such in 1895,
and its interior remains largely unaltered, though extended to
rear at a later date. Walls lined with an assortment of white,
cream, brown, green and black tiles, occasionally relieved by
vertical panels decorated with pink flowers. All woodwork
including the dumb-waiter from kitchen in cellar is stained
brown, as are the bolection moulded frames of the mirrors
which are an integral part of the decor. Customers sit at
wooden benches at marble-topped tables, the metal supports of
which are screwed to a terrazzo floor.
HISTORICAL NOTE: eel and pie shops are unique to London and
nearby seaside towns like Southend. They were started by a
group of families, the Cookes, Manzes and Burroughs, now all
intermarried. No.87 Tower Bridge Road was the first of a chain
of shops opened by Michael Manze, formerly a greengrocer, who
came from Italy c1880-1890. It has one of the best interiors
of the small number of such shops still in existence.


Listing NGR: TQ3317679228

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.