This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8852 / 51°53'6"N
Longitude: -0.4113 / 0°24'40"W
OS Eastings: 509441
OS Northings: 221931
OS Grid: TL094219
Mapcode National: GBR TTJ.6L
Mapcode Global: VHFRF.TWF5
Plus Code: 9C3XVHPQ+3F
Entry Name: The Painters Arms
Listing Date: 30 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471481
Location: Luton, LU2
Electoral Ward/Division: High Town
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton St Matthew, High Town
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 02 SE LUTON HIGHTOWN ROAD
999/6/10009 The Painters Arms
Alternatively known as: The Painters Arms, HAVELOCK ROAD
Public house. Rebuilt 1913. Green glazed bricks to ground storey, red brick above. Ridge and end stacks.
PLAN. Corner site. Entrances on both frontages. Central servery with four (formerly five) bars clustered around it.
EXTERIOR. 2-storey. 5 bays to Hightown Road, 3 to Havelock Road, and a canted bay on the corner. Glazed brick facing on ground floor laid in horizontal rusticated bands. Entrances on left and in centre of High Town Road facade. Horned sash windows on 1st floor with fancy painted lintels and simple aprons. Dentilled cornice. Low, plain parapet but raised and embellished at the corner. Over the corner, embossed lettering stating 'Rebuilt AD 1913'.
INTERIOR. Retains most of its early C20 planning and furnishings. Small central entrance lobby with patterned tile floor and leading to three bars. That in the centre small and described in etched glass on its door as 'Jug Bar'. Between the three bars wooden screenwork with Art Nouveau-style glazing. To right public bar with original fixed seating with bare timber back. Further lobby on left, with tiled floor. Early C20 bar counter and back. In the left-hand parts the counter carries a superstructure on twinned columns and with shelf; above this glazed lunettes which repeat a pattern in the screenwork between the bars. Tiled dado round several walls with a frieze above in brown and green with fern and scallop shell ornament. Several contemporary fireplaces, one with pictorial green tiles. Doors with etched glass and good brass door furniture. Plaster modillion cornice at front.
An early C20 public house with distinctive exterior detailing and an increasingly rare, and substantially complete compartmentailsed plan retaining a coherent ensemble of contemporary sreenwork, bar counter and back, decorative tiling, doors and fireplaces, all of high quality.
Listing NGR: TL0944121931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings