This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5132 / 51°30'47"N
Longitude: -0.1533 / 0°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 528244
OS Northings: 180976
OS Grid: TQ282809
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.RR
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.97BB
Plus Code: 9C3XGR7W+7M
Entry Name: 14, North Audley Street
Listing Date: 2 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471495
Location: West End, Westminster, London, W1K
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2880 NW NORTH AUDLEY STREER
1900/68/10203 No. 14
Upholsterer's premises with living accommodation, now restaurant and offices. Built 1887-8 by Thomas Henry Watson and Frederic Hale Collins for an upholsterer Marborough Conrath. Flemish style. Red brick in English bond with stone dressings and green Westmorland slate roof with tall side chimneystacks.
EXTERIOR: Narrow frontage of 4 storeys attics and basement with irregular fenestration. Central curved gable with oculus. Third floor has one 4-light mullioned and transomed window. Second floor has 3 double mullioned and transomed windows with ogee heads. Three octagonal pilasters through ground to second floors. On the right side of the first to second floors is a 5-light stone oriel with mullioned and transomed windows and copper ogival hood. Second floor window has leaded lights with stained glass to transomes. Left side has oval oculus on each floor. Ground floor has left side doorcase with arched head, oval fanlight above and oak panelled door. Original shopfront has four-centred brick and stone arch with keystone and wooden shopfront with 3 ogee arches, pilasters and panelled risers.
INTERIOR: Ground floor shop has oak panelling, arched doorcase to rear and panelled ceiling decorated with heraldic shields. Former living accommodation retains staircase with oak newel post, handrail and painted turned balusters. Dado rail, round-headed niche to ground floor and dumb waiter through to second floor. First floor has original window seats and moulded cornice. Second floor has alcove, moulded cornice and original fireplaces. Third floor has four-centred arched fireplace with overmantel. Fourth floor has bolection-moulded fireplace, one with pilasters and blank panel. Basement retains two fireplace surrounds.
HISTORY: Marborough Conrath was the leaseholder of the existing house on the site and was granted a new lease by the Grosvenor Estate on condition he spent not less than o1,500 on rebuilding. He claimed to have spent o4,500.
["Survey of London" Vol XI "The Grosvenor Estate in Mayfair. Part II" p109.]
Listing NGR: TQ2824480976
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings