History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Islington Mill, Including Engine and Boiler Houses, Warehouse and Stabling

A Grade II Listed Building in Ordsall, Salford

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4816 / 53°28'53"N

Longitude: -2.2634 / 2°15'48"W

OS Eastings: 382617

OS Northings: 398353

OS Grid: SJ826983

Mapcode National: GBR DDG.LY

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.6RG9

Entry Name: Islington Mill, Including Engine and Boiler Houses, Warehouse and Stabling

Listing Date: 4 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386142

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471566

Location: Salford, M3

County: Salford

Electoral Ward/Division: Ordsall

Built-Up Area: Salford

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Salford

Listing Text


SALFORD

SJ8298SE JAMES STREET
949-1/23/119 (South side)
04/11/96 Islington Mill, including engine &
boiler houses, warehouse & stabling

II

Cotton spinning mill, now used as retail and office premises.
1823. Originally built as a room and power mill by David
Bellhouse of Manchester, with alterations and extensions to
the site, used for doubling by the early C20. Spinning mill is
brick with slate roof, fire-proof internal structure with
cast-iron columns supporting transverse brick arches. Original
structure comprised single central row of columns, but other
rows were added following collapse in 1824. Timber queen-post
roof construction.
PLAN: site comprises main spinning mill, with external engine
house and boiler house, a second mill and warehouse range, and
office and stabling, enclosing a courtyard to the rear of the
site.
EXTERIOR: 6 storeys, 12 bays, with rectangular window in each
bay, and semicircular windows in gable apexes lighting attic
storey. Original internal engine house towards W end, marked
by round-arched window, with stair and chimney tower
originally located to W of it. The engine house was replaced
by an external engine house in the yard, built or rebuilt late
C19-early C20 (and subsequently extensively modified). Lift
tower added to S elevation (possibly extending an original
privy tower) in 1907-8, and stair tower at SE angle added in
1928.
A second mill occupying the west part of the rear of the site
was in existence by c1830, but was itself rebuilt c1901-2.
3-storeyed, brick, with cast-iron and timber internal
structure. The eastern section of this second mill was added
c1840, and survives substantially in original condition, with
stair tower added to W. Taking-in doors suggest its use for
warehousing. Small office building added c1880 to E of site
entrance, a 2-storeyed, 4-window range, with single-storeyed
wing to rear originally including stabling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the partial collapse of Islington Mill in
1824 is one of the well-documented structural failures of
early fire-proof mills in which poor casting was blamed for
the collapse. Listed as a good example of an early C19
fire-proof mill, which is of additional interest due to the
alterations which were made following its collapse. The
subsequent development of the site is also well-illustrative


of the adaptation and extension typical of early mills which
continued in use as textile-working sites.

Listing NGR: SJ8261798353

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.