This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.484 / 53°29'2"N
Longitude: -2.2631 / 2°15'47"W
OS Eastings: 382640
OS Northings: 398619
OS Grid: SJ826986
Mapcode National: GBR DDG.P2
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.6PMG
Plus Code: 9C5VFPMP+JQ
Entry Name: Church of St Philip
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386165
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471589
Location: Irwell Riverside, Salford, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2018
ST PHILIP'S PLACE (North side)
Church of St Philip
Formerly known as: Church of St Philip BANK PLACE.
Anglican church. 1825. By Sir Robert Smirke. Ashlar, roof not visible. Neo-classical style. Undivided plan, with Ionic portico advanced to south with round bell-tower over.
EXTERIOR: expressed as two storeys for galleried interior. Symmetrical south front has central projecting bow-fronted porch with Ionic colonnade and balustraded parapet. Central door in simple Doric architrave flanked by round-arched windows. Above the parapet, the bell-tower rises: engaged fluted shafts with stripped-down Corinthian capitals carry cornice. Narrower upper stage has plain pilasters each side of round-arched openings (alternately blind), and domed stone cap. Further doors each side of portico, then three bays, with upper round-arched windows linked by continuous string course and sill-band over square lower windows in moulded architraves.
Three-bay east end with slightly advanced outer bays housing doorways with round-arched windows over. Tripartite pedimented window in central bay. North wall of nine bays with upper round-arched windows linked by continuous sill-band and string course. West front has advanced central bay with pediment, and three doorways, the central door having entablature carried on console brackets. Three round-arched windows above, part blind. Round-arched windows in outer bays, over blind lower windows.
INTERIOR not inspected.
The church is a reproduction of Smirke's Church of St Mary, Wyndham Place, London.
Listing NGR: SJ8264098619
Other nearby listed buildings