This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4838 / 53°29'1"N
Longitude: -2.2608 / 2°15'38"W
OS Eastings: 382789
OS Northings: 398598
OS Grid: SJ827985
Mapcode National: GBR DFG.54
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.7PPL
Plus Code: 9C5VFPMQ+GM
Entry Name: Cathedral of St John and Attached Cathedral House
Listing Date: 18 January 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471539
Location: Irwell Riverside, Salford, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
Tagged with: Catholic cathedral
SJ8298NE CHAPEL STREET
949-1/19/40 (North side)
18/01/80 Cathedral of St John and attached
Roman Catholic cathedral. 1845. By Weightman & Hadfield. S
transept added 1884. Coursed and squared stone with Welsh
slate roof. c1300 Gothic style, extensively modelled on Selby
and Howden. Nave with 2 aisles, central tower and spire,
EXTERIOR: Cathedral tower rises above nave with paired bell
chamber lights in deep, shafted recesses. Angle buttresses
terminating in pinnacles with quatrefoil parapet running
between them. Brooch spire with 4 tiers of lucarnes. Nave of 4
bays divided by buttresses, each with 3-light Decorated
window. Gabled porch to W, with deep moulded doorway with
niche over. Paired 2-light Decorated windows to clerestory. N
transept with rose window in N wall, and octagonal turret in
western angle with scallop-tiled ogival conical roof. 4 bays
to chancel, unbuttressed. 3-light Decorated windows, with
quatrefoil tracery, reticulated traceried 3-light windows to
clerestory. Polygonal turrets on each eastern angle, with low
leaded roofs. Large E window of 7 lights with richly
reticulated tracery. Octagonal pinnacle turrets each side of W
front, with 2-light Decorated windows in each gabled face, and
crocketed spirelet. W door in deeply moulded splayed arch,
flanked by blind traceried panels. 4-light Decorated window
over, with enriched pointed hoodmould and blind traceried
panels each side. Gabled buttresses also have traceried
panelling, and canopies over statues. 3-light Decorated W
windows to aisles. S transept of 2 bays, articulated by gabled
buttresses and with corbel table to eaves.
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 4 bays with clustered shafts, and
paired arches to clerestory. Clustered shafts to crossing
arches. Timber roof to nave, stone vaulting to chancel.
Austere internal decoration, relieved by richness of altar
furnishings and stained glass. S transept chapel has polished
marble altar rails and encaustic tiled floor, oak panelled
reredos with gilded painted scenes from the life of Christ.
Marble altar, the raised reredos having linenfold panelling
above marble quatrefoils with emblematic sculpture, and
terminating to SE with statue in niche. High relief sculpted
panel to south chancel chapel altar and painted screens, the
chapel divided from the ambulatory behind the high altar by a
stone canopied memorial. Ambulatory divided from high altar by
low stone traceried screen. E altar in ambulatory with
elaborately carved reredos.
Chancel has mosaic floor, an abstract design with central
emblems, all set in a polished marble surround. Between the
clerestory windows, over each pier of the chancel arcade,
statues of kings and bishops in canopies. N transept chapel
altar with figures set behind glazed tracery to returns and
frontal. Memorial to Bishop Sharples d1850, a recumbent effigy
in moulded recess. Stained glass, possibly by Hardman, in E
window and in chancel aisles, one S window dated 1849, the E
window dated 1854. Representations of saints, kings and
martyrs in medieval idiom. Emblematic glass in S and N aisle
windows, with west window of N aisle representing Saint
Aloysius, dated 1889, and Durrell memorial window to N, by
Barracough and Sanders of Lancaster, 1920. Sacramental window
of c1889-90 to N transept.
Cathedral House: originally the Theological College. c1850.
Adjoining the cathedral on the E side. Coursed and squared
stone with steeply pitched Welsh slate roofs. L-plan with
entrance range facing the road behind a courtyard.
3 storeys. 3-window range with central full-height canted bay
with polygonal slated roof containing narrow central dormer.
Large porch or porte cochere with shallow segmental archway,
and paired sash windows above. Similar paired sash windows in
flanking bays, all with relieving arches to first floor.
Modillion eaves cornice, then steeply gabled dormers, 2 stacks
springing from right hand dormer.
Projecting wing advanced to the right, a somewhat later
addition, though in similar style. 6-window range with moulded
arched doorway to right, and relieving arches over 4-pane sash
windows of first floor. 3 wide gabled dormers in the roof.
Further brick wing extends the line of this wing to rear, and
on the angle of the main ranges, a large traceried woodern
lantern with continuous band of windows beneath pyramidal
Listing NGR: SJ8278998598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings