History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Budshead, Remains of Mansion and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Honicknowle, Plymouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.4217 / 50°25'18"N

Longitude: -4.1726 / 4°10'21"W

OS Eastings: 245763

OS Northings: 60240

OS Grid: SX457602

Mapcode National: GBR R5B.W2

Mapcode Global: FRA 274Y.484

Plus Code: 9C2QCRCG+MX

Entry Name: Budshead, Remains of Mansion and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 25 January 1954

Last Amended: 9 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386357

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473742

Location: Plymouth, PL5

County: Plymouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Honicknowle

Built-Up Area: Plymouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Tamerton Foliot

Listing Text


740-1/2/625 (North side (off))
25/01/54 St Budeaux, Ernesettle
Budshead: Remains of Mansion and
(Formerly Listed as:
Remains of Mansion at Budshead.
Remains of Outhouses)


Remains of mansion, now retained as picturesque ruins in a
public space. C16 and C17, was the seat of the Gorges family,
this house was largely demolished and a farmhouse was built in
the early C19, now demolished and the remains of the house
further reduced since 1975. Local rubble and dressed granite
or volcanic stone.
Walls surrounding a large square courtyard and further walls
on 3 sides of an irregular forecourt. There is a
through-passage alignment from front to rear. The embattled
and buttressed C16 front doorway is attached to a very thick
embattled curtain wall on its left and the 4-centred arched
doorway is heavily moulded and has carved spandrels and a
square hoodmould. The detached doorway on the right of the
forecourt is the former porch doorway which was at the front
of the C19 house. This feature has moulded coping above a
square hoodmould and the moulded 4-centred arched doorway has
carved spandrels and a cable moulding surrounding the
tympanum. The wide doorway at the back of the forecourt seems
to be a reconstruction and incorporates similar cable
moulding. The moulded doorway at the rear has a 2-centred arch
and the whole feature is probably re-set or re-assembled.
There are the foundations of the former barn nearby and there
is a cider-pressing base re-used as a seat.
HISTORY: Sir Ferdinand Gorges was appointed 1st Governor of
Maine in 1635. The house later came into the possession of the
Trelawneys, and Sir Harry Trelawney, ADC to the Duke of
Marlborough, specialised in ornamental gardens here. The
remains on this site suggest that Budshead was once a very
important house with fine architectural detail.
The Remains of Outbuildings were listed on 01/05/75.

Listing NGR: SX4576360240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.