This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4131 / 50°24'46"N
Longitude: -4.1769 / 4°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 245428
OS Northings: 59285
OS Grid: SX454592
Mapcode National: GBR R4M.Q6
Mapcode Global: FRA 274Y.NLK
Entry Name: Church of St Budeaux
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1130049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473286
Location: Plymouth, PL5
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Honicknowle
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4559SW CROWNHILL ROAD, St Budeaux
740-1/13/617 (North side (off))
25/01/54 Church of St Budeaux
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Budoc)
Parish church. Re-used C13/C14 features to tower, rebuilt 1563
on site given by Richard Budockshead; restored and refitted by
James Hine in 1876. Local rubble with granite dressings; dry
slate roofs with coped gable ends.
PLAN: nave/chancel; equal N and S aisles; W tower and S porch
and C20 vestry to NW angle.
EXTERIOR: unaltered elevations with original windows and
doorways except that tower incorporates earlier fragments and
its doorway is a C19 replacement with pointed arch and planked
door with strap hinges. 3-stage unbuttressed and embattled
tower has strings dividing stages and slender corner
pinnacles; Y-traceried windows with louvred lights to upper
stage; single-light windows to middle stage and 2-light window
with cusped tracery over doorway. The other parts of the
church have mostly 3-light windows with 4-centred arched
central lights flanked by round-arched lights, all under
4-centred arches with hoodmoulds. S aisle has 1 arched window
flanked by 2 with flat arches. 4-centred arched doorways, the
moulded S porch doorway with sunk spandrels and square
hoodmould; sundial over; blocked doorway to E end of N wall.
INTERIOR: has limewashed rubble walls with exposed rear
arches; pointed tower arch of 2 orders; simple C19 replica
waggon roofs, and 4-bay arcades with depressed arch over
standard A (Pevsner) piers.
FITTINGS: 1876 by James Hine, the pews with square ends and
V-jointed boards and octagonal oak pulpit with quatrefoils.
MONUMENTS: Roger Budockshead and family and Sir William Gorges
and family, 1600; marble and slate 2-panel pilastered chest
tomb with slate top and Baroque backplate surmounted by coat
of arms with segmental arch on Tuscan columns to John Fownes
who died 1669; an aedicule with Ionic columns; a cartouche
with drapery to Lewis Stanley who died in 1693, another to
Charles Fortesque, a Corinthian freestone and marble aedicule,
both with angels' heads; 2 floor slabs: one to Richard
Trevail, died 1665, the other dated 1648.
HISTORY: Sir Francis Drake was married here in 1569.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: 1989-: 642).
Listing NGR: SX4542859285
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings