This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.39 / 50°23'24"N
Longitude: -4.1814 / 4°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 245034
OS Northings: 56734
OS Grid: SX450567
Mapcode National: GBR R3X.05
Mapcode Global: FRA 2840.DV7
Plus Code: 9C2Q9RR9+2F
Entry Name: Hms Drake Clock Tower South East of Main Gates and Attached Guardhouse
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386365
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473750
Location: Plymouth, PL2
Electoral Ward/Division: Devonport
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4556NW SALTASH ROAD, Devonport
740-1/32/164 (West side)
01/05/75 HMS Drake: Clock Tower south-east of
Main Gates and attached Guardhouse
Formerly known as: (HMS Drake) Clock Tower south-east of Main
Gates SALTASH ROAD Devonport.
Clocktower and attached guardhouse on naval base. Completed
1896, under Superintendent Engineer Lt-Colonel P Smith RE.
MATERIALS: Plymouth limestone: ashlar to tower with channelled
rustication to lower stages, guardroom block with rock-faced
basement, otherwise dressed limestone brought to course; dry
slate roof behind parapet with moulded entablature; stone
stacks with moulded cornices. Free Classical style.
PLAN: overall irregular plan incorporating square clocktower
flanked by rectangular guardroom blocks.
EXTERIOR: single-storey guardhouse over basement to lower
ground on right; 4 stages plus diminishing stages to
clocktower; guardhouse right of clocktower is regular 5-window
range. Tetrastyle prostyle entrance loggia on stylobate to
tower but with paired columns with fluted upper parts and
larger unfluted corner columns; fielded panels under windows
to side bays and return bays, and overlight to central
doorway; moulded entablature under balustraded parapet with
Tower stage above entrance floor has small paired lights to
sides. Balcony entablature above with balustraded balconies on
console brackets in front of 2-light windows with round-arched
lights and portcullis-like overlights. At this stage the tower
is made to look lighter with cavetto-on-plan corners. Above
the windows are triangular pediments.
The next stage has recessed corners with flanking pilasters;
balustraded entablature below clock face to each side and
machicolated cornice to iron balustraded shielded walk with
chamfered corners to a diminished stage also with chamfered
corners and chamfered and pilastered window openings above.
The further diminished stage above this has a similar balcony
over a moulded cornice and has smaller similar windows
surmounted by triangular pediments. Above this the chamfered
corners have slender buttresses and there is a balustraded
parapet entablature plus finally a flagpole.
Guardhouse right of clocktower has tall original 12-pane
sashes within pedimented architraves, the pediments linked by
moulded cornices and there is a moulded sill string and
panelled aprons. Right-hand return has 4-light oriel on
brackets and surmounted by a coved entablature and a
triangular pediment with a dentilled cornice linked to parapet
cornice of front. Segmental-arched basement doorway with
console keyblock and pair of planked doors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: a notable tall clock tower, an unusual component of a
barracks, enriched by a wide variety of decoration. Built as
part of the final phase of construction for the barracks,
although the design may have been settled when the barracks
was begun in the 1870s since the later buildings are
consistent with the earliest.
Forms part of one of the finest and most complete barracks in
England, manifesting the importance and status of the Royal
Navy at this time.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
655 & 656).
Listing NGR: SX4503456734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings