This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.391 / 50°23'27"N
Longitude: -4.1832 / 4°10'59"W
OS Eastings: 244905
OS Northings: 56849
OS Grid: SX449568
Mapcode National: GBR R3L.NG
Mapcode Global: FRA 2840.D3V
Plus Code: 9C2Q9RR8+CP
Entry Name: Hms Drake St Andrews Church hms Drake Theatre Complex
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473760
Location: Plymouth, PL2
Electoral Ward/Division: Devonport
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX45NW SALTASH ROAD, Devonport
740-1/4/174 HMS Drake: Theatre Complex
Includes: HMS Drake: St Andrew's Church SALTASH ROAD
Barrack master's house and canteen, converted to theatre and
associated recreation and service rooms, now partly a church.
1879-86, extended 1892-1912, Superintendent Engineer Lt-Col P
MATERIALS: Plymouth limestone: rock-faced ashlar to basement
of theatre end, otherwise limestone brought to course and with
limestone dressings; slate roofs behind parapets with moulded
entablature or triangular pediments; stone axial and lateral
stacks with moulded entablature; louvred ventilator above
projection room of theatre.
STYLE: Free Classical.
PLAN: single-depth plan house at N end with canteen to S side,
separated by a courtyard; a wide through passage and attached
single-storey cloakrooms at the higher end of the theatre,
then a pedimented 2-storey block, plus another block at the
EXTERIOR: theatre over basement, single-storey link building,
otherwise 2 storeys; 1:6-bay theatre with pedimented moulded
doorway approached by steps on the left and blind windows.
Theatre passage and buildings on the right are set back from
the theatre. Passage has wide round-arched doorway with
corbelled imposts; 2 tall transomed windows right of this with
plain architraves. The parapet entablature continues as a
mid-floor entablature across the 5-bay pedimented front
approached by full-width round-ended flight of steps; keyed
oculus to pediment. Building on right is 3-window 1st-floor
range with segmental-arched ground-floor openings: a doorway
on the left and a window on the right. Above the doorway is a
banner inscribed FISHER. Wider 3-window right-hand return has
similar details. 3-bay left-hand return of Theatre has central
triangular pediment over large 3-light round-arched window
with square columns as mullions; blind flanking windows.
2-window-range side wall of house left of Theatre.
Rear has similar general detail to other elevations. On the
left is a wing with a central tripartite window on each floor;
right of this are ramped walls to courtyard of building with
pedimented end; right of this another tripartite window and
the round arch of the rear of the through passage, then there
is a 4-window range with horned sashes with glazing bars. Set
back right of this is a large 3-light double-transomed window
but with squat ground floor flush with the flanking buildings.
At far right is the 4-window-range house front with pedimented
and moulded doorway on the right approached by a flight of
steps; original horned sashes with glazing bars and pair of
INTERIOR: of theatre has original roof structure with tie
rods. Office has dogleg stairs and panelled doors. Other
buildings not inspected.
HISTORY: built and used as Barrack Master's quarters and
canteen until 1912. Theatres were built in a number of
military barracks in the late C19, though HMS Drake was the
only one of the navy's three first barracks to have one. Now
houses St Andrew's Church.
Part of one of the finest and most complete barrack complexes
in England, manifesting the Royal Navy's status and importance
at this time.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
655 & 656).
Listing NGR: SX4490556849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings