This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4273 / 50°25'38"N
Longitude: -4.1533 / 4°9'11"W
OS Eastings: 247152
OS Northings: 60825
OS Grid: SX471608
Mapcode National: GBR NW.QF0B
Mapcode Global: FRA 275X.RRC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 January 1954
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386426
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473813
Location: Plymouth, PL5
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Southway
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4760NW TAMERTON FOLIOT ROAD
740-1/12/858 (North side)
25/01/54 Tamerton Foliot
Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mary)
Parish church. C15 nave, chancel and tower; S aisle C15 but
rebuilt 1851, porch enlarged and chancel and S aisle roofs
heightened at same date; C12 and C13 N aisle rebuilt wider
1894-95; serious fire in 1981 but restored since. Local rubble
plus volcanic stone and limestone dressings; dry slate roofs
with coped gables surmounted by stone finials.
PLAN: nave/chancel under one roof; N and S aisles; S porch and
EXTERIOR: 4 x C15 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery
to S aisle, similar window to W end and E window restored in
the C19. E chancel window has C19 Perpendicular style tracery
within a C15 frame. N aisle windows are C19 in Perpendicular
style. S porch has chamfered pointed-arched doorway. The
corners of the aisles are buttressed. Tall 2-stage embattled
tower has corner pinnacles and angle buttresses. There are
2-light traceried windows with louvres to upper stage and
clock face to E and W sides. Small square-headed windows to
lower stage and pointed-arched W doorway.
INTERIOR: plastered walls; 5-bay arcades with standard A
(Pevsner) type piers and 4-centred moulded arches, the N piers
are granite, the S piers Roborough stone (Pevsner). Nave has
waggon roof with C15 carved bosses, similar bosses to S aisle,
chancel and N aisle also have waggon roofs. Tower has its
original roof with granite ribs.
FITTINGS: C15 octagonal granite Perpendicular font decorated
with shields; pillar with blank arches; C17 pulpit made up
from linenfold panelling and other Renaissance fragments, C19
base incorporating old panels; Royal arms of George III with
dates 1671, 1730 and 1810; C18 bells in 1936 iron frame; 1851
pews to nave; tower screen (replacing a gallery) 1888; chancel
STAINED GLASS: E window 1865.
MONUMENTS: tomb chest with knight and lady to members of the
Gorges family, probably C14; ornate wall monument with
kneeling figures under a pair of round arches to Sir John
Coplestone and his wife Susannah, 1617, repaired and
re-erected 1894 and with kneeling children below; alabaster
shrouded female statue monument, with flanking female seated
figures, to Susannah Calmady who died in 1617; monument to
Coplestone Bampfylde who died in 1669; some monuments to the
Radcliffes of Warleigh.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
679 & 680; Bebbington PS: St Mary's Church, Tamerton Foliot:
Listing NGR: SX4715260825
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings