This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4277 / 50°25'39"N
Longitude: -4.1514 / 4°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 247283
OS Northings: 60857
OS Grid: SX472608
Mapcode National: GBR NW.QFHL
Mapcode Global: FRA 276X.LHJ
Entry Name: 1 and 2 Cann Cottages
Listing Date: 5 February 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1393798
English Heritage Legacy ID: 506171
Location: Plymouth, PL5
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Southway
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
740-1/0/10139 TAMERTON FOLIOT
05-FEB-10 1 and 2 Cann Cottages
Former gardeners' cottages. 1936. Designed by William Curtis Green and built by Maddock & Son Builders.
MATERIALS: White-washed roughcast with dimishing Delabole slate roofs with shallow corbels.
PLAN: Two storey cottages with a symmetrical plan. The first floor plan of No. 2 has been slightly altered to accommodate a third bedroom.
EXTERIOR: The principal (south-east) elevation is symmetrical with outer gable end bays, and catslide roofs over the porches. There is a wide, low chimney stack to the outer bays. The central chimney stack includes a rectangular date stone (1936) with a diamond to its centre within which are the letters PTD. The rear (north-west) elevation is also symmetrical with outer gable end bays which incorporate steps to the rear doors. The front entrance doors are timber, consisting of three planks with ovolo moulding and a central diamond opening which is glazed. The fenestration consists of timber casements, of varying size, with stone cills.
INTERIOR: The interiors of both cottages retain their granite fireplaces and unusual plank type doors consisting of five planks with the second and fourth plank recessed, with chamfered battens, latches, spearheaded strap hinges and bespoke H-L type hinges to the bottom of the doors. The flagstone floors survive to the kitchens and the porches.
HISTORY: In 1904 Curtis Green was commissioned by the landowner P. D. Tuckett to build Tuckett's Farmhouse (Grade II*) in Devon. The house is Tuckett's Farmhouse and is listed at Grade II*. He also built the nearby Orchard Cottage (Grade II) for Tuckett in 1933. Curtis Green was again commissioned by Tuckett in 1936 when he owned the Cann Estate. His works on the estate included additions to Cann House, a gamekeeper's cottage, now known as Clittaford Cottage (Grade II) and a pair of semi-detached gardeners' cottages, now known as Cann Cottages.
SOURCES: Plymouth Record Office, Gardeners Cottages, Cann House, Tamerton Foliot (PCC/60/1/2705)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: No. 1 and 2 Cann Cottages are designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:
* A substantially intact example of a pair of cottages in the Vernacular Revival style by the nationally important architect William Curtis Green
* They retain their interior features including granite fireplaces and doors with iron door furniture
* They are a well-preserved example of Curtis Green's small scale domestic architecture, and form part of the commissioned buildings for P. D. Tuckett as part of the Cann Estate
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings