This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3732 / 50°22'23"N
Longitude: -4.1544 / 4°9'16"W
OS Eastings: 246893
OS Northings: 54804
OS Grid: SX468548
Mapcode National: GBR R8B.BJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 2851.Z5S
Plus Code: 9C2Q9RFW+76
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473895
Location: Plymouth, PL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4654NE WYNDHAM SQUARE, Stonehouse
740-1/56/841 Church of St Peter
(Formerly Listed as:
WYNDHAM SQUARE, Plymouth
Church of St Peter)
Nonconformist chapel called Eldad built in 1830, licensed as
an Anglican church in 1848, small chancel added in 1849-50 by
GE Street, the rest rebuilt 1880-82 by G Fellowes Prynne,
whose father was the vicar, and in 1906 the tower was added.
The church was badly damaged in the Blitz and restored in the
1950s by F Etchells, when the walls leading to the apexes of
the roofs were lowered and the walls around the other parts of
the church increased in height to form level parapets
surrounding replacement flat roofs. Plymouth limestone brought
to course and with yellow stone dressings; roofs behind
moulded parapets; steep octagonal copper roof to tower.
STYLE: Early and mid Gothic.
PLAN: nave with clearstorey; lower chancel; N and S aisles; N
and S transepts; W tower; SE chapel with apsidal E end; NE
vestry and S porch.
EXTERIOR: 2-light pointed-arched windows with tracery and
hoodmoulds to N and S walls of aisles and 3-light windows to W
end of aisles. Chancel has large 5-light window with geometric
tracery. Buttressed 2-storey transepts each have 2 bays of
triple lancets. Vestry has 3-light mullioned windows. 3-stage
angle-buttressed tower has balustraded parapet between
crocketed corner pinnacles. There is a parapet cornice and
modillion cornice over bell-stage with 3 tall equal louvred
lancets with turned shafts and quatrefoil apron. Stage below
has 4 narrow slit windows within lancets with turned shafts
over 2-light traceried window above large pointed-arched
doorway with 4 orders of nook shafts; pair of C20 doors.
Gabled S porch has corner buttresses surmounted by octagonal
turrets with blind lantern arcades and spires; niche with
statue over moulded pointed arched doorway with squat nook
INTERIOR: columns replaced by steel columns encased in
pre-cast concrete moulded blocks, supporting ceiling of oak
beams. Stations of the Cross by Charles Stapleton. Stained
glass by James Paterson.
HISTORY: the Reverend George Rundle Prynne was appointed Vicar
of the new parish of St Peter's in 1848, and his work (until
his death in 1903) assured the parish a prominent position in
the Catholic Revival in the Church of England; the rebuilding
to the designs of H Fellowes Prynne, his son, was completed
with the building of the tower and spire in 1906. Occupies a
prominent position in the city, at centre of square designed
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
645; Midgley R: Report on the Church of St Peter: 1995-).
Listing NGR: SX4689354804
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings