This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3943 / 52°23'39"N
Longitude: 0.2654 / 0°15'55"E
OS Eastings: 554243
OS Northings: 279782
OS Grid: TL542797
Mapcode National: GBR M6H.V88
Mapcode Global: VHHJD.K25T
Entry Name: Church of St Peter in Ely
Listing Date: 22 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386585
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473981
Location: Ely, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Ely
Built-Up Area: Ely
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Ely
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TQ5479 EL Y BROAD STREET
606/4/10016 Church of St Peter-in-Ely
Church. 1890 by James Piers St Aubyn. Brick faced with coursed ashlar; machine tile roofs. Nave, chancel,
south porch and south transept. Decorated style. EXTERIOR: west front with 4-Light window with intersecting tracery; single lancet above. Polygonal bell turret at south-west cornerterminating in stone spirelet over louvred bell-openings. Gabled south porch with moulded arched entrance. 3 3-Light Decorated windows to south and 4 to north nave, all separated by stepped buttresses. South transept with triple lancets in south wall and a roundel above. Decorated chancel fenestration: one 2-Light window north and south and a 5-Light east window. Setback chancel buttresses.
INTERIOR: moulded chancel arch and south transept arch. Nave roof of 8 bays of arched braces to collars alternating on wall posts and corbels. Y -braces from collars to principals. 2 tiers butt purLins and ridge piece, and 2 tiers of arched windbracing. Chancel roof is a more elaborate 4-bay version of the same roof type.
FITTINGS: double-coved rood screen erected 1893 by Sir Ninian Comper. 3 by 3 bays either side of central opening, the outer bays boarded and decorated with stencilled emblems. Open bays each with 3-Light open Decorated tracery. Central entrance with 7-cusped arch. Tierceron ribbed coving east and west rising to cornice with fleurons (east side) or running foliage trail (west side). Panelled parapet with cusped ogee tracery heads. Rood with Christ on Cross flanked by St Mary and St John. One standing angel right and left.
Plain 3-sided pulpit. Octagonal font on drum stem with satellite columns and Decorated tracery to the bowl panels. East window with stained glass of 1892 by Kempe & Co. Organ manual in south transept 1905 by Hills of Norwich.
Included as a good, complete surviving church of the 1890s, with remarkable fittings.
Listing NGR: TL5424379782
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings