History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Gatepiers at Entrance to Liverpool Speke Airport

A Grade II Listed Building in Speke-Garston, Liverpool

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3485 / 53°20'54"N

Longitude: -2.8803 / 2°52'49"W

OS Eastings: 341493

OS Northings: 383875

OS Grid: SJ414838

Mapcode National: GBR 8YBQ.6C

Mapcode Global: WH87N.Q3M9

Entry Name: Four Gatepiers at Entrance to Liverpool Speke Airport

Listing Date: 16 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386588

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473984

Location: Liverpool, L24

County: Liverpool

Electoral Ward/Division: Speke-Garston

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Liverpool

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Speke St Aidan

Church of England Diocese: Liverpool

Find accommodation in
Garston

Listing Text

SJ485W
392/10/10096

LIVERPOOL,
SPEKE ROAD,
Four Gatepiers at entrance to Liverpool Speke Airport

GV II

Entrance gatepiers at Liverpool Speke Airport, formerly sited at 2 entrances. c.1940, relocated on a single site in 1998. By Herbert Tyson Smith, sculptor and designer. Rectangular gate piers of ashlar limestone blocks, arranged in staggered formation. The piers to the north each have an integral tapered column to their front face rising from a plain plinth, above which is a carved winged motif forming the head of each pier. The flat pier tops carry the bases of ornate light fittings. The piers are set approx 16 metres apart. Behind them, to the south, a second pair of piers, set further apart, with integral columns to the front faces, but with a plain rounded shallow platform to each pier top. The associated railings and plinth watts were erected in 1998, and are not of special interest.
HISTORY: The piers formerly delineated 2 separate entrances to the airport site. The piers with the winged motif flanked the present entrance to the terminal building, whilst the plainer piers were originally located further to the east a separate entrance to the east, leading to the no. 2 hangar (item 101 1 180), used later as the international terminal.
The gatepiers are representative of the sculptural content of the airport site, also represented by the relief carvings on the principal elevations of the 2 hangars. The gatepiers form part of the most important surviving ensemble of 1930's civil aviation structures in England.

Listing NGR: SJ4149383875

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.