This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8833 / 51°52'59"N
Longitude: -2.048 / 2°2'52"W
OS Eastings: 396792
OS Northings: 220530
OS Grid: SO967205
Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.YWQ
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.GX5M
Plus Code: 9C3VVXM2+8R
Entry Name: The Hearne
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474016
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL53
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9620NE HEARNE ROAD
630-1/34/74 (West side)
Villa. c1828-32. For Alexander Nicholson of East Court, London
Road (qv) with later alterations including those of early C20
(c1919) to interior and addition of study for AW Martyn by HH
Martyn and Company, Architectural Craftsmen, and late C20
MATERIALS: stucco over brick with slate roof. Continuous
cornice and parapet between dormer gables, 2 to south and 2 to
east. Gables have panelled finials with poppyheads to south.
Chimneys surmount outer gables to east, further chimneys to
north side, all with cornices. East parapet has central
tracery-panelled finial with poppyhead and a carved head
below. South parapet has a central sundial with shaped
surround. Tudor-Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic. 1 + 3 windows to south, 3 to
east, 2-light wooden mullioned casements with cusped
Tudor-arched heads and with marginal glazing bars in chamfered
surrounds and with drip stones. French windows on ground floor
to south, 3-light transomed windows to east. Main feature to
east is the porte-cochere: projecting canopy with traceried
panelling and cresting on slender clustered piers. Half-glazed
'Tudor' panelled door with 4 stained-glass panels above in
4-centre-arched surround with headstops, reputed to represent
Elizabeth I and Lord Burleigh.
Original conservatory to south: gable at each end with
tracery-panelled infill, section between with cusped lights;
INTERIOR: early C20 alterations include panelling and
plasterwork, the dining room plasterwork reputed to be a copy
of designs used at Hampton Court (apparently Neo-Georgian).
Study has small panelling.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was erected on the site of an older
property. Nicolson mortgaged the property in 1833 to William
Baylis. AW Martyn bought the house in 1919 for »2,000, he was
the son of HH Martyn.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 121; Charlton Kings Local
History Society Bulletin: 1989-: 11-16).
Listing NGR: SO9679220530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings